Georg Hendrik Witte: Piano Quartet & Horn Quintet

Started by Martin Eastick, Wednesday 11 October 2017, 11:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

I have just noticed this -  which will be a must-have, certainly on the evidence of the (different) youtube performance! I also notice that IMSLP has the full score of Witte's violin concerto..........!//https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/georg-hendrik-witte-klavierquartett-op-5/hnum/7821893

Alan Howe

Hadn't spotted this one - thanks, Martin. It appears in the new releases section at jpc, but doesn't seem to have featured among the future releases over the past few weeks. Strange...

eschiss1

I think jpc's future releases section is limited to cpo products, whereas this is a MD&G production?

Alan Howe

No, their 'Vorschau' section covers releases from all labels. As far as I remember, however, the Witte CD never appeared there.

eschiss1

Ah, thanks for the tip. Not sure if I saw it mentioned in MDT's new-and-soon releases area, which I check periodically.

eschiss1

For some reason, the composer is @IMSLP at George Hendrik Witte.  Both quartet and quintet are available there (one in a Merton reprint, one typeset by Hans-Joachim Witte in 2014 - thanks, sir!)

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

A lovely release, this. Music made rather in the image of Schumann, the sleevenote suggests. High praise indeed!

eschiss1

Good to hear. I've put in a sort-of community request about the aptness of changing the IMSLP category name (since it's a big deal - the new category needs to be created, then the works moved to it, then the old category moved to it - and hard to undo if gotten -wrong- or if yet another move needed :D ...- and maybe neither George nor Georg is right, but perhaps something Dutch? What is his nationality anyway- will have to look into that :( )

Santo Neuenwelt

Not saying that it is for sure correct, but here is what is on the Edition Silvertrust (http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/witte-piano-quartet.htm)

Georg Hendrik Witte (1843-1029) was born in the Dutch city of Utrecht. At age 16, he entered the Royal Dutch Conservatory in the Hague where he studied violin, piano, organ and composition. He then continued his studies at the Leipzig Conservatory with Ignaz Moscheles and Carl Reinecke for piano, and Moritz Hauptmann and Ernst Friedrich Richter for composition. After teaching briefly in the city of Thann in Alsace, he tried to obtain a post in the Netherlands but there were none available. However, on the recommendation of Reinecke, Witte obtained the post of Director of the Music Society of Essen and eventually became Music Director of the city of Essen, serving as conductor of its orchestra and choir society.