Potter PCs 2 & 4: Hyperion RPC vol.72

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 05 April 2017, 00:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Lovely, lively music, this. The idiom? A delicious amalgam of influences from late Mozart and Beethoven, i.e. late classicism infused with a burgeoning romantic spirit pointing forward to Mendelssohn (and Chopin in the slow movements). The orchestration strikes me as being particular fine, its richness created by often powerful writing for brass in tuttis.

We should definitely hear more from one of our finest early 19thC composers...

Mark Thomas

I couldn't agree more. The whole disc is an absolute delight from start to finish. What a good composer Potter was, and how well served he is here. The music has all the brilliance of Czerny, say, but with much more substance and memorability than the Viennese usually displays. A great addition to the RPC series.

Gareth Vaughan

I can only say that I agree wholeheartedly with Alan's and Mark's comments. I hope that Hyperion will eventually get round to recording the other concertante piano works of Potter on a later disk.
What would also be very desirable is a survey of all the extant symphonies.

eschiss1

Having heard (and been _very_ impressed) by several of his symphonies I look forward to hearing this CD, and more of his music in general (and yes the best of that of his still-undersung contemporaries too. Hoping for. (I wonder if Hyperion plans to record Wilms' concerto.))

Gareth Vaughan

I can certainly wave it under their noses (or rather Simon Perry's nose). WorldCat lists two piano concertos by Wilms, Op. 12 and Op. 32 - parts for both in Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin, as far as I can see. The list attached to his Wikipedia article gives no Op. 32 but lists a  Piano Concerto in E major, Op. 3 as well as "Piano Concerto No. 2 in C major, Op. 12", so there may be three. I think they are the sort of stuff Howard Shelley would be interested in.

pianoconcerto

As you probably know, Wilms's piano concertos Opp. 3 and 12 have been recorded previously on CD (albeit on fortepiano).  In my discography, I have:

Wilms, Johann Wilhelm (1772-1847) Netherlands
Concerto No. 1 in E, Op. 3 (1798)
+Alpha 052:  Arthur Schoonderwoerd (fortepiano)/Ensemble Cristofori

Concerto No. 2 in C, Op. 12 (1805-6)
+Ars Produktion 38 024:  Paolo Giacometti (fortepiano)/Kölner Academie/Michael Alexander Willens

These also have been posted on youtube. 

Having said that, a recording of anything by Howard Shelley would be most welcome!

Gareth Vaughan

I didn't know that. Thank you. I will listen to these recordings. The Op. 32 may still be of interest, however.

eschiss1

btw in re Wilms Op.32, unless this is a typo ...

"Concerto pour le Pianoforte avec accompagnement de l'Orchestre Oeuv. 32." (in F), published by Breitkopf ca.1812 (plate 2004) - Worldcat OCLC 961098893 @ SBB-PK, Potsdamer Straße, 14 instrumental parts ?.

Adjusted the publication date from ca.1814 to ca.1812 based on the plate number and IMSLP's plate table (estimates taken from issues of AMZ Intelligenzblatt, etc.)

dhibbard

just found this string... just ordered this CD... hope its great !!