BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

O'Dwyer : Eithne

Started by mikehopf, Thursday 12 October 2017, 11:26

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Saturday night on Lyric FM

Opera Night: Robert O'Dwyer's Eithne
Doireann Ní Bhriain presents Robert O'Dwyer's Eithne live from the National Concert Hall, Dublin, a romantic adaptation of a mysterious ancient Irish legend, as the mortal son of Ireland's High King falls in love with the magical Eithne, daughter of the King of Tír na nÓg.

A rare example of an opera with the libretto in the Irish language. Eithne stars internationally acclaimed artists soprano Orla Boylan (pictured) as Eithne, baritone Gavan Ring as the High King of Ireland and tenor Robin Tritschler as Ceart, Eithne's lover. The chorus of Opera Theatre Company and the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra are conducted by Fergus Sheil. (Duration unclear)

This was written in 1910. I wonder how it compares with Parry's Blodwyn or Boughton's Immortal Hour....

Alan Howe

Sounds lovely:

The music of Eithne is steeped in the late nineteenth century European operatic tradition with shades of Dvorák and Wagner infusing the score. Shimmering strings, hunting horns, luscious orchestrations with soaring vocal lines, rousing choruses and lyrical arias sit fascinatingly with the Irish language, which emerges as a highly suitable medium for operatic expression.
http://www.opera.ie/whats-on/eithne

Gareth Vaughan

Can someone record it please?

Wheesht

I'll certainly give it a try – unless there is a torrential downpour, my satellite equipment should provide good reception...

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Wheesht

I managed to make the recording and now I have a ts file that I would need to transfer to something more manageable before uploading. Meanwhile the broadcast including the filmed performance livestream is available from the station website:
http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/opera-night/

Mark Thomas

With Wheesht's agreement I've posted my recording of the broadcast in our Downloads Board. The text file includes the synopsis of the libretto, given by the announcer in the broadcast. Apparently it's planned that this performance will be issued commercially and if that happens then this post will be removed.