Amédée Méreaux (1802-1874) Etudes Op.63

Started by thalbergmad, Wednesday 01 November 2017, 18:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

UnsungMasterpieces

Does anyone know of a more precise release date for the Études?

eschiss1

I agree, a mixed bag will do. Alkan's etudes too are a mixed bag. If the best of Méreaux' etudes are better - not almost as good; not anything like, for the bar has already been set and the prediction confidently made that Méreaux will leave Alkan in the dust(and I respect Hamelin as rounded musician enough to hold him to such things, wo rancor :)) then the best of the Méreaux etudes should exceed the Alkan Aesop, concerto and symphony etude sets (eg).

Also, still want to hear Méreaux's quartet in C minor. parts may be @ IMSLP?

matesic

The string quartet doesn't look at all virtuosic. Of course, that doesn't guarantee it to be good music either, and the Op. posth. attribution leaves you (well, me) suspicious that someone may have been hoping to profit from a student or occasional piece Méreaux himself didn't think merited publication. In a couple of weeks I'll see how it plays and report back 

eschiss1

Double-A

The quartet on IMSLP is in D, not in c-minor.  Interestingly (or confusingly) the title page says "oeuvre posthum" and two lines below that it says op. 121.
On the two lines it mentions a performance on August 7 1874.

I have started on a score so it can be read (an mp3 from the playback will be available though in miserable sound) and posted to IMSLP.  Give me a few weeks.

Double-A

As to the musical quality of the etudes:  I watched the youtube video of a young man (or rather his hands) who recorded himself paying number 24.  I have to say I was very amused both by the image of the constantly jumping hands and by the music itself:  The theme a serious hymn (or hymn like) contrasts strongly with the silly image of the jumping hands; and the sudden appearance of an Offenbachish melody in the middle sounds like sarcasm to me.  The young man of course did not hit all the correct notes (fewer at the end than at the beginning) but an impression could be got nonetheless.

It isn't great music but it is not boring (the main flaw of most etudes, especially those whose purpose is teaching rather than performance).  And we don't really need great music all the time do we?

eschiss1

Right. Sorry about that. Erm.. quartet in C minor, ... oh. I think I know why. Fritz Spindler string quartet Op.62, published 1859, which I think I looked at the same day I was looking at the... hrm. Don't know.