Lucija Garuta PC in F sharp minor (1952)

Started by dhibbard, Monday 13 November 2017, 04:03

Previous topic - Next topic

dhibbard

New CD just released of the Piano Concerto of Lucija Garuta
Thought I would repost this from the Art-Music Forum.   This is an excellent recording, even tho' it was written after 1918.. it is in the same vein as other Romantic Piano Concertos.   If you disagree, I'll delete this thread.    This piano concerto was previously recorded and released by Melodiya.   This CD  a recent recording.   
Thanks
Dave

New issue:
http://skani.lv/en/catalogue/?cd=lucija-garuta-music-for-piano&icd=34

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lucija-Garuta-Music-Reinis-Zarins/dp/B076JVB91P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510412591&sr=8-1&keywords=Lucija+Garuta+-+Music

Alan Howe

There's nothing at all to frighten the horses here. In fact it sounds very beautiful. Thanks - I'll be ordering this.

eschiss1

In the name of the Journal of Irreproducible Results*, has that been tried experimentally? ;^)

*Please, please tell me we're familiar with that... and I adore horses and am in no hurry to see them frightened, so an adequately realized cybernetic horse may be substituted if it actually does mimic the behavior of real horses... erm- hrm, wait.

Alan Howe

I have to admit that I was expecting equine angst, but no...

dhibbard

I've always been a fan of this work.  I even have a copy of the piano reduction. 

Ilja

Liene Circene's old recording of the work is on Youtube, by the way: first movement, second movement, third movement. It's a fine performance, but the sound is painfully clattery, so it is very good to have a modern recording of this delightful work.

Alan Howe

This is blazing masterpiece. I am blown away! More when I have recovered...

Alan Howe

The music is extremely moving, memorable, beautiful and powerful; it also hyper-romantic - it knocks all other proposals for the accolade of 'Ultimate Post-Rachmaninov Piano Concerto' into a cocked hat. The performance is stellar and the recording quality startlingly lifelike.

This is without doubt my discovery of 2017. Please sell your shirt, if necessary, and buy it. You won't regret it.

pianoconcerto

It will be available at the beginning of December for download from amazon, iTunes, etc.

Mark Thomas

Obviously a must-buy, then. Thanks for the heads up.

dhibbard

Alan Howe

Has anyone else bought this magnificent recording?

Mark Thomas

It's just become available as a download, and it's snugly filed on my PC, but I've had no time to listen to it yet.

Alan Howe

Ilja

QuoteHas anyone else bought this magnificent recording?

This has long been one of my favorite concertos and I even overcame my aversion to the silver disc and ordered it from JPC. It's a glorious recording, but interpretatively close to the old Circene recording. Much, much better sound though.