Henri Ploquin (1862-?): Orchestral Suite No.1 (1920)

Started by violinconcerto, Sunday 19 November 2017, 11:40

Previous topic - Next topic

violinconcerto

I recently found the autograph manuscript of the "Premiere suite pour orchestre" (1920) by French composer Henri Ploquin (1862-?). I have now finished the typesetting of the full score and the work can be downloaded free of charge from my website:

https://www.tobias-broeker.de/rare-manuscripts/non-violin-manuscripts/

Below a short biography. If you have further details about his life, please let me know:

Henri Ploquin was born 19 September 1862 in Nantes (France). After school he studied music, but also chemistry and physics and became a professor at the Conservatory in Nantes from 1888 to 1898 where he taught the elementary piano class. In 1889 Henri Ploquin also founded the society of shooting, gymnastics and military instruction "La Bretonne" in Nantes and was its president until 1895. He organised gymnastics events and composed music for the gymnastic performances. In 1904 Henri Ploquin moved to La Roche-Bernard and headed the installation of electrical current in the town. He stayed there until 1919 when he moved back to Nantes to work again at the Conservatory, now as professor for solfège. In 1926 Henri Ploquin conducted a concert at the inauguration of the "American Monument" (also called "A.E.F. Memorial") in St. Nazaire, a sculpture created by Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney. Henri Ploquin was awarded "Officier d'instruction publique" at this occasion. In 1911 he was already honoured as "Officier d'Academie".

Among the compositions of Henri Ploquin are an orchestral suite, "Hymne a l'Aurore" for choir and symphony orchestra, a mass, the operetta "Le Mannequin Saveur", the vaudeville-operetta "Pour avoir la fille", the march "Triomphe d'Etoiles" dedicated to Woodrow Wilson, a cantata "Ils sont venus portés sur les ailes des aigles...", as well as smaller works like songs and chamber music.
The "Premiere Suite pour Orchestre" was composed in 1919-1920. The work consists of the three movements "I. Adagio - II. Menuetto - III. Allegro moderato & Final". The Suite was premiered on 4 May 1925 by the Orchestre de l'Ecole de Musique de Saint-Nazaire under the direction of the composer.

Aramiarz

Interesting history. What do you style find in him? What composers influence him?