William Sterndale Bennett Piano Concertos 1-3, Shelley & RPC

Started by Sharkkb8, Monday 20 November 2017, 20:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

In an earlier thread...

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,5956.msg66798.html#msg66798

....mention was made of the Wm Sterndale Bennett PC's 1-3 being recorded by Howard Shelley, on the Hyperion RPC series, vol. 74.  Just noticed that it's advertised on iTunes for a March 2 release.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/bennett-piano-concertos-nos-1-3/1313326363

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

semloh

I wonder if it will be worth spending money replacing the Binns/LPO recordings on Lyrita, given that there are so many other gems on which to spend one's hard-earned dosh!

Alan Howe

Jimfin

Oh I think Bennett is very well worth it. I'll be buying this.

Alan Howe

He may well be 'worth it', but supposing the new recordings aren't a patch on the older ones? Should we buy the new ones willy-nilly?

Alan Howe

The Binns recordings are superb - and feature excellent contributions from the Philharmonia & London Philharmonic. The new Hyperion CD will have to be very, very good to beat them. You'll gather that the forthcoming release is not an automatic purchase for me...

Gareth Vaughan

It is, however, Howard Shelley, who is superb in this sort of repertoire, together with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra which is a very fine band indeed. I would like to hear how these musicians deal with Bennett. I am sure it will be illuminating. Besides, I like to support Hyperion. In so many cases they set the benchmark for recordings of "classical" music.

Alan Howe

I may well do so too (support Hyperion, that is). But in this case, not automatically; I'll wait for the reviews...

Gareth Vaughan

Fair enough. And I must say I don't wish to denigrate in any way the Binns recordings which are very fine indeed and continue to give great pleasure.

Alan Howe

I'll look forward to any comparisons you can make for us, Gareth.

semloh