Friedrich Seitz "Concertos" for Violin & Piano

Started by Sharkkb8, Tuesday 21 November 2017, 00:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

eschiss1

Not an unusual instrumentation for student concertos, which is what these are. The 2nd in G has been performed with orchestra, I see on YouTube, though I don't know offhand if that's an arrangement (by whom?), the actual original version, or- what then...

The Vienna branch of ÖNB has vocal scores of several works of his for chorus and orchestra whose titles do mention the existence of an orchestral component, though, so not everything of his is piano-accompaniment only :) ("Die Passion, Oratorium auf den heiligen Charfreitag. Text nach Worten vor heiligen Schrift mit Benutzung älterer Texte von Jakob Obweger für Soli, Chor, Orchester und Orgel." published in vocal score ca.1905?- by Böhm & Son, Augsburg. (to judge by the description of Op.10a, which is a piano reduction of the fugal final chorus of his Passion Oratorio, extracted and published ca.1925..., this former work is probably Op.10.)

JimL

The YT appears to be accompanied only by string orchestra.  An arrangement, I would think.

Double-A

I question the idea of recording these pieces at all.  They are clearly written for children (primary school age I'd say) or at any rate for violin students who are not terribly skilled as yet. 
I wish my teacher had given them to me rather than Vivaldi's a-minor concerto!  But I would think they should be left in their native habitat:  Violin lessons and student recitals.

regriba

Itzhak Perlman recorded no 2 in G major with orchestra back in 1999 on his album "Concertos from My Childhood", along with other well-known student concertos. On that occasion the orchestration was done by Bruce Adolph, which I suppose indicates that the original has only piano accompaniment.

Of course none of this is great music, but I think there might be a purpose in students being able to hear professional performances of the works. At least listening to Perlman helped my daughter, who played the said concerto no 2 some years ago as part of her training.

Sharkkb8