Danzi PC, CC & Overture in D

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 05 December 2017, 11:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Howard Griffiths is at it again! Try track 4 for a very Beethovenian-sounding bit of Danzi!>>>
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ouverture-cello-concerto/hnum/7818160

Gareth Vaughan

And what very splendid music this is. Quite an ear-opener for me - I have never really explored Danzi.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

The PC in E flat (1799), I am convinced, is one of the great late-classical/proto-romantic PCs. It's fascinating to hear what Danzi was doing at the same time as Beethoven was penning his first two PCs. I urge anyone with an interest in this period to get hold of this quite magnificent CD.

Alan Howe

Has anyone else bought this superlative recording?

sdtom

I wasn't aware of what he had to offer which is why I'm a member of this forum  :)

M. Yaskovsky

Just listened to this recording on Spotify. Pleasant music, full of piano and cello pyrotechnics. More Haydn than Beethoven. Truely professional composer one could say. It matters me more than the two Naxos-Czerny recordings I heard a while ago.

Alan Howe

The PC's definitely more than Haydn. The template's surely (late) Mozart; and the CC doesn't sound anything like Haydn. And then there's the extraordinary first section of the Overture, which is pure Beethoven. There's more than mere professionalism at work here, and certainly more than simple pyrotechnics  - there's a truly adventurous spirit.