Alkan Edition on Brilliant Classics

Started by adriano, Friday 08 December 2017, 22:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

A good cheap way into the composer - agreed. It was enthusiastically reviewed on BBC Radio 3's Record Review last Saturday.

Gareth Vaughan

At £38.76 on Amazon, I make that just under £3 a CD. Pretty damn good.

eschiss1

Hope they'll make it available as one of their fine US$8.99 (sometimes more) digital sets too (though I realize many of the recordings are available individually on other labels, e.g. Grand Piano, Nimbus, etc., already.) (I've bought a few Brilliant Classics digital sets- their reissue of the fine complete Bayer Dvorak quartets set, for instance.)

adriano

Right now we are in the final stage of an agreement with Brilliant to have my Brun CDs reissued by them in a very nice 11-CD box plus CDR with texts and photos. This means that a historical CD with Brun himself conducting his 8th Symphony will be included as a bonus.

Gareth Vaughan

That's (pardon me) "brilliant" news, Adriano.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Will your Sterling disk of the 3rd symphony be part of this deal, Adriano? 

Sharkkb8

A few weeks ago I found the download of this large Alkan set for $9.99 as an iTunes [USA] download.  Seems it's currently still on iTunes but for $15.99, which is barely more than $1/cd.  Wonderful music!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/alkan-edition/id1292935967

adriano

Yes, of course, Gareth Vaughan - otherwise (to me) it would not make sense, since the main title is "complete orchestral works". And it's really complete - not like that "complete" Respighi box of the same label :-)

Gareth Vaughan

Thank you so much, Adriano. It will be at the top of my list of must-buys.

eschiss1

I apologize, I seem to have caused the thread get rather confusing (though I may be the only person to be confused.)

Alan Howe

semloh

Hmm, isn't it frustrating when one has carefully built up a collection of a composer's works on diverse labels, with as little duplication as possible, and then someone goes and issues the whole oeuvre as a boxed set at a great price? I must convince myself that in the case of Alkan differences in interpretation can be so great that duplication is on paper only!  :)

eschiss1

It's now available streaming on NML. Listened to the first few tracks (the opening etudes of Op.39 as played by Vincenzo Maltempo...)