Introducing my own Piano Concerto

Started by arpeggio, Thursday 29 November 2018, 12:19

Previous topic - Next topic

arpeggio

(Please move or delete if this is inappropriate, but I'm pretty certain it meets the romantic style requirement!)

Due to the obvious problems in procuring an orchestra, and the fact that I'm not made of money, it will only be presented publicly in solo piano form at this point in time. Here's a live recording with sheet music; obviously it's not studio pristine and precise (minor memory lapse in the second movement in particular, three bars are thus dropped from the score representation).

From a technical perspective, the work is largely constructed out of two related descending motifs, both of which occur within the first minute and a half. They are in effect mood mirror images of one another. The first is contemplative and questioning, the second (bar 36) more bold and positive (and, yes, I shall preempt any observations that it has similarities to the notorious Warsaw Concerto!) All the material within the first two movements is directly derived from one or other of these motifs, as is the closing material. For example, the passage from bar 166 in the first movement is a minor key transformation of the second motif, and the first movement ends with a recall of cells from the  opening motif.

The second movement represents a reverie; an oasis of calm before the violent irruption of the Dies Irae at the start of the last movement. The work concludes with a triumphant re-presentation of the second motif.

https://youtu.be/119uH6zeDtg

Obviously I hope this may be of interest, and that I can be forgiven for leaving the orchestra somewhat to the imagination. There are basic orchestration comments within the score.

Alan Howe

May we know your full name, please? Otherwise this is an anonymous composition, which is a bit strange!

arpeggio

I suppose I didn't think of that, as my YT channel is anonymous unless you do detective work!

Andrew Wright. www.andrewwrightpianist.com

Alan Howe

Thank you, Andrew. I like what I've heard so far...

Mark Thomas

arpeggio

Thanks to both of you. I appreciate the positive impression!

jimsemadeni

I like it, too, wish I was made of money so we could get an orchestral recording done. Stands alone very well, though. Thanks.

semloh

Absolutely delicious! Thank you, Andrew...  :)

arpeggio

Thanks again, to both of you, for the encouraging feedback. I do plan to put together a 'mock' orchestral combination with me on piano, and using orchestral sampled sound, but it goes without saying that this is a compromise at best.

kolaboy

Ilja

Great work, Andrew, I'm really enjoying this. And yes, even a partially synthesized orchestral version would be very interesting to hear (also, the quality of orchestral sampling is now reaching a level that it's becoming actually listenable).

arpeggio

Thank you... and very interesting to hear that there are passable orchestral samples out there. I've put the score together with an older version of Sibelius software, and I don't consider its orchestral sample library to be of an acceptable level (nor the piano sample, for that matter).

adriano

As far as my own works are concerned, I am always promoting them in synthetic performing versions. It's the ebst way, today. The most recent and simple - and so far best program - is Note Performer. It has been developed for Sibelius, but now it works also with Finale and Dorico. I have tried during years to dig myself in to Vienna Instruments. At the time I bought the whole bulk it costed me a fortune - now it's lying around for nothing: it's just too complicated and you need hours before setting up a good playback. It's more for professional studios than "home" composers. And Note Performer is contantly improving, so even the strings (which are always greatest problem of such kind of software) sound now very satifsfactory. Not to speak about the fact that you can add special dynamics, accents, reverb etc. Suppose most of the works I've written will, alas!, survive me only in synthetic form...
Did nou know that Busoni, in his 1907 book about New Aestethics of Music was predicting that one day perhaps there will be instruments, able to play larger ranges and produce more perfect sounds?

arpeggio

Thank you! I'll be looking into the software you suggest post-Christmas. Much appreciated.