Miloslaw Koennemann (1826-1890)

Started by UnsungMasterpieces, Saturday 22 December 2018, 08:29

Previous topic - Next topic

UnsungMasterpieces

This composer is best known for Der Fremersberg, but other than that none of his other works have been recorded.
Besides Der Fremersberg he has also composed various waltzes, polkas and marches, mostly for piano.
Even though he was a Czech composer, he only has Wikipedia pages in German and Dutch.
Here's a translation of the Dutch wikipedia page. I've tried to make it as grammatically correct as possible.

Könnemann studied at the then Prague State Conservatory (now Státní konservatori hudby v Praze) in Prague. After his graduation he became conductor at the court chapel of Prince August zu Hohenlohe-Öhringen. After years of working as a conductor with various royal and urban orchestras, he became Kapellmeister of the Austrian Infantry Regiment nr. 28, which was then stationed in Rastatt. During his stay in Rastatt, music life developed both in Rastatt and in Baden-Baden. From 1858 onwards he was also conductor of the spa orchestra in Baden-Baden, which was then called Bénazetsches Orchester and reached a high level with this orchestra. He continued to fulfill this function until his death.

The orchestra received a positive stimulation because Baden-Baden developed into a distinguished spa stay during this period; famous composers and soloists were guests in this city, such as Anton Rubinstein, Henri Vieuxtemps, Henryk Wieniawski and Hans Joachim. In addition, guest conductors joined this orchestra: Johannes Brahms, Franz Liszt, Hector Berlioz, Georges Bizet, Hans von Bülow and Felix Mottl.

He was a member of the Freemasons' lodge "Badenia zum Fortschritt" in Baden-Baden.

Is anyone else aware of recordings of his works other than Der Fremersberg?

eschiss1

Question: any relationship family or other to the Budapest publisher?

UnsungMasterpieces

I have no idea, I don't think so. Though there's always a possibility...