New thread for upcoming interesting 2018 Romantic unsung concerts

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 19 December 2017, 05:18

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Not a perfect start since I forget if Goossens symphony 2 belongs in our remit, but I want to put something here, and will keep looking for other things that more _definitely_ belong here. Anyhow, there's a couple of concerts in Cincinnati, US, that contain Goossens symphony 2 (Jan. 6 and 7 2018 - see 6 January 2018 @ Bachtrack eg) and another with several Sibelius works and one by Merikanto that's intriguing. Mentioned Irlande by Holmès in another thread, which is in NYC in May 2018.
January 11-12 2018 in Liverpool: Stenhammar Serenade.
Jan. 12 2018 in Osaka: Hans Rott, Hamlet Overture (Japanese premiere.)
Jan. 17 2018 in Amsterdam: Dover quartet plays Zemlinsky's 2nd quartet in D minor.
Jan. 18-19 2018 in the Berwaldhall, Stockholm: concert with the Atterberg cello concerto.
January 22 2018 in NYC the Jupiter symphony Chamber Players will be playing Rozycki's piano quintet in C minor op.35, a work of interest to me and some other members of this forum I think maybe.

semloh

I think this is a good idea, Eric. The thread on Unsung items in concerts has been quite busy, and starting a new one for 2018 seems the logical step. I'm sure it will grow very quickly.  :)

hyperdanny

here in Milan at the Teatro Dal Verme, on April 19th and 21st, the Pomeriggi Musicali Orchestra will play Volkmann's Cello concerto.
We'll be graced with some luxury casting: the soloist is going to be no less than Daniel Muller-Schott.
Alessandro Cadario will conduct it (along with R.Strauss Romanza for violoncello&orch, plus Schumann's "Rhenish")

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

I always count it a huge bonus that the two Raff Cello Concertos made their recording debut as one of the young Muller-Schott's first CDs. He's a fabulous soloist.

eschiss1

Never mind that last post by me (which I deleted). Still, there is a performance of Reinecke's flute ballade later today the 21st in Luxembourg according to Schott's calendar :D

And there is a NYC concert with Stenhammar's 2nd symphony (and Canning and Martinů) (February 10), and another with Taneev's piano quintet (February 7th) so some things are going on even vaguely near me, which is nice I suppose.

eschiss1

Also: Thursday 8 March 2018 at the Barbican: a concert with Louise Farrenc's 3rd symphony. See Barbican (also a concert from the ensemble, on 15/17 February in Paris with chamber works? unclear - see Insula Orchestra.)

eschiss1

A few more:

Rabaud's Mârouf, savetier du Caire (opera, premiered 1914) will be performed in Bordeaux several times early next month and late April.
Théodore Dubois' terzettino for flute, viola and harp is receiving at least two performances this year- 27 March in Skipton and twice (June 3 and 4) in Madrid (Fundación Juan March).

I forget if a concert in which Magnard's Chant funèbre (and works by Stravinsky and Fauré) will be performed, June 19 2018 in Freiburg, has been mentioned (http://bz-ticket.de/sinfoniekonzert-philharmonisches-orchester-konzerthaus-freiburg-x5x.)

eschiss1

Looking at the Performances sections of some publishers' websites, I see
from Musicsalesclassical.com and Bachtrack--
Myaskovsky's 19th symphony to be performed March 1st @ Oklahoma City University.
Another performance of Taneev's piano quintet on Feb. 13 (there was one tonight :) ) in Leeds, a performance of his concert overture to Oresteia on May 31 in San Fran, his Op.1 Ioann Damask. on June 17 in Cologne, and his 2nd string quintet @ the West Cork Chamber Music Festival...

Jonathan

One more from me:
The brilliant pianist Mark Viner is including in his recital on the 2nd of March at Wigmore Hall, Alkan's Trois morceau dans le genre pathetique (Op.15), as well as Works by Liszt, Thalberg and Chopin. It starts at 7.30pm. Sadly, it's too far for me to go.

eschiss1

Thanks!
Also two performances of Paderewski works (at least two) in late April: the better-known piano concerto in A minor on April 26&27 in Pamplona (@ Baluarte, Palacio de Congresos y Auditorio de Navarra) (Piotr Paleczny, piano, Antoni Wit, conductor- could this be a sign of a new recording planned?) - and his overture for orchestra, @ Warsaw Philharmonic Concert Hall on April 27 & 28, with the Warsaw Philharmonic conducted by Paweł Kapuła.

(Late classical/early Romantic/definitely unsung: a rare live performance of Ferdinand Ries' first symphony on March 24th @ Alice Tully Hall, New York City.)

gnicholls

Franz Schmidt, Symphony No. 4
Paul Dukas, symphonic poem La Peri
Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 3, played by Yuja Wang
Berlin Philharmonic/Kirill Petrenko cond.

Thu, 12 Apr 2018, 20:00
Fri 13 Apr 2018, 20:00
Sat, 14 Apr 2018, 19:00
Tickets go on sale online March 4,8am!

alberto

The above program (with the Schmidt Fourth Symphony) will be replicated by the BPO under K.Petrenko in Luzern and Salzburg festivals in summer.

UnsungMasterpieces

Heinrich Marschner's Hans Heiling will be performed in the Aalto-Theater Essen on several occasions this year:

24 February, 19:00
28 February, 19:30
3 March, 19:00
9 March, 19:30
22 March, 19:30
29 April, 16:30
12 May, 19:00
27 May, 18:00
22 June, 19:30