Salieri Requiem in C minor (1804)

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 27 December 2017, 22:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I'd missed this; and it's certainly a very impressive - and dramatic - piece of work. Here's an appreciative review:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Sept10/Salieri_requiem_PTC5186359.htm

Double-A

Not having heard the work I can't say if I agree with this judgement (or the one of the reviewer) but I am willing to trust it.  What I have encountered so far by Salieri (all instrumental music) I found entirely forgettable and I would hesitate proposing one of his works for a chamber music session.

But there is a parallel example:  Michael Haydn's Requiem.  Michael's instrumental music is vastly inferior to his brother's and IMO as forgettable as Salieri's.  But back in the day we played his requiem in the student orchestra.  And it turned out to be a very respectable composition which made a strong impression on the listeners.

Maybe some composers need the inspiration from a text (or from this particular text?) to reach their full potential.

Alan Howe

That's a fair enough opinion - broadly reflecting my own thoughts about the composer before hearing this very fine piece.

mikehopf

Thank you so much, Alan. What a wonderfully uplifting work from a rather mediocre composer! I've often wondered what influence Salieri had on his pupil, Schubert. Now I know.

Alan Howe

Glad you liked it. Just shows: we should never dismiss a composer in his entirety...