Bortkiewicz Piano Concertos Nos 2 & 3

Started by Martin Eastick, Friday 05 January 2018, 11:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

After many years of expectation, here at last is a commercial recording of the 2nd and 3rd Piano Concertos. I know that some here have reservations about these two works, but I certainly will be ordering this! https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/klavierkonzerte-2-3/hnum/8051464

Richard Moss

Looks like a re-issue of the recording offered by the Nederlands Musiek Institut a few years ago, which then (and I presume now) is the only 'issued' CD available.

Cheers

Richard

Gareth Vaughan

Yes it does, Richard. I already have that CD so there would seem little point in my buying this one, though I am very glad to see these works made more widely available. I have no reservations about them. I love them both. Good news, Martin.

Mark Thomas

Great news! Somehow the earlier NMI incarnation has passed me by, so I shall avidly await this reincarnation.

edurban

This is wonderful news.  I've tried several times to order this recording from its Dutch source without success.  Thanks.

Ilja

I've heard other people experiencing the same problem. But most importantly, these are excellent recordings that deserve a wider audience.

raffite33

I'd be curious to know, when anyone gets this, if it is a pressed CD or a CD-R, as was the last thing on Piano Classics I ordered, an Alkan CD by Vincenzo Maltempo.

Alan Howe

As a matter of interest did that CD-R play OK?

raffite33

Yep, it played with no problems on my Oppo BDP-93.  That, of course, doesn't mean it would necessarily do so on whatever machine I may own in the future.  I've been collecting CDs for over thirty years, and, at my age, that's going to be the format I stick with until I'm deaf or dead.  There seem to a be a lot of varying opinions and very little convincing scientific evidence on the durability of CD-Rs.  The CDs in my main collection never leave my man cave, but I do keep some duplicates and things weeded from my main collection in my car.  I can say for sure the CD-Rs in my car eventually started to skip badly and some took on a brownish hue, while the CDs held up just fine.  I'd guess it is the heat or the humidity, but I suppose the cold might also have something to do with it.  Admittedly, extreme conditions, but it leads me to worry that simple age might have the same effect on them over time, even when well kept.

eschiss1

This  _isn't_ a new recording. Herrarte mentioned it back in 2016. Nice that it's commercially available now though (and over NML.) Looking forward to hearing it.

Ah, ok, that's already understood, nevermind.

herrarte

Here's the artwork of the CD I purchased years ago from that Dutch site.

Mark Thomas

Revilod

Surprisingly, this disc is included in a 15 disc set of "Russian Piano Concertos" about to be released By Brilliant Classics. Depending on what you already have, this could be a good buy as each disc works out at less than £3 each.  Here it is at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russian-Piano-Concertos-Various-Artists/dp/B078X9KRDQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1520965741&sr=1-2&keywords=bortkiewicz+piano+concerto&dpID=61h92BmKU%252BL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Mark Thomas

£7.99 for the mp3 download is an absolutely incredible bargain as, by the way, is the Stamitz Quartet's lovely performances of the complete Dvorak string quartets for the same price from Brilliant Classics, which I've recently downloaded.

Back to the "Russian" Piano Concertos, though: Brilliant Classics' definition of "Russian" seems to be highly elastic. By no stretch would Moszkowski or Scharwenka have regarded themselves as Russian. Both were born in what is now Poland, Moszkowski was ethnically Polish and Scharwenka was of mixed Bohemian/Polish lineage, and they were always German citizens, whilst I'm sure that the great Polish nationalist Paderewski, although certainly a Russian citizen until 1918, would also have bristled at being described as Russian!