New film about Mel Bonis, Lili Boulanger, Emilie Mayer and Fanny Hensel

Started by Wheesht, Monday 08 January 2018, 07:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

The German pianist Kyra Steckeweh has made a new film about four women composers – Mel Bonis, Lili Boulanger, Emilie Mayer, Fanny Hensel – and the difficulties they faced in the 19th and early 20th century. There are six days left in the crowd funding project to help finalise the film – see here, and here for the crowdfunding site. A never before recorded work by Emilie Mayer will also be part of the film (the website doesn't say which). This spring the pianist will release a new CD with works by Mayer and Hensel.

Alan Howe

The film's in German, of course. Won't affect the musical content, but it'd be useful if a translation/subtitles were integral to the project...

Wheesht

The second funding aim is precisely for this: to have an English and French language version.

Wheesht

A couple of days ago I finally got to see this very impressive, informative, touching and well-made film (scroll down for English). In addition to the original German version there is an English language version available, and the film has won prizes both in the 3rd Alive International Documentary Film Festival 'AliveDoc' in 2018 and  for best feature documentary at the 2019 World Music & Independent Film Festival WMIFF. (There is also a French version by the way.)
Pianist Kyra Steckeweh has released two CDs with piano works by the four composers featured in the film – including the sonata by Emilie Mayer that had not been performed for about 150 years. For more information see her website.

eschiss1

Thanks, I'll check the link soon. (And the better it turns out to be, the more I expect I will hope that it is only one of many, eventually. Was the Sophie Drinker website involved?)

Wheesht

There are plans for another film to be made by the same team. Now that they have shown what they have been able to achieve with no funding except crowdfunding, they are hoping for more support for a new film. I don't know if the Sophie Drinker Institut was involved, but the MuGI (Musik und Gender im Internet) certainly was – as well as the "Archiv Frau und Musik".

Gareth Vaughan

Wheesht

As I am in touch with the film makers, I'll try and find out from them.

Gareth Vaughan

Wheesht

Here's what I have found out: Currently, the film exists in a version with English subtitles, an English language version still needs to be finalised. A DVD release (possibly also a Blu-ray) is planned for November this year, to coincide with Fanny Hensel's birthday. This will probably include both German and English audio and subtitles, also in French and Spanish.

Gareth Vaughan

Brilliant news. Thank you very much. I shall certainly buy a copy.

Wheesht

The "Kompnistinnen" team are continuing their work to include composers such as Dora Pejačević and Ethel Smyth. I have not been able to find a DVD (or BluRay) narrated in English, but apparently an English version exists. The part about Fanny Mendelssohn is currently available to stream for free on Vimeo – due to license agreements and obligations with their distributor currently in German only. The entire film is available for a small fee on Vimeo , but I could not find out quickly if it is in German only or also in English.