News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Dutton Epoch

Started by Mykulh, Tuesday 23 January 2018, 03:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Mykulh

It has been quite awhile since there have been new releases from Dutton Epoch and its sub-labels. Does anyone out there have any knowledge of what is going on with this valuable label? Its own website does not offer any clues.

FBerwald

Patience.... They release new CD's every 3 months or so. Recently, they have concentrated on re-relases or older recordings. I believe Vol. 4 for of the Braunfels will be recorded in Late February according to the Piers Lane website.

BerlinExpat

A recording of Alfred Cellier's The Mountebanks recorded a year ago, so must be in the pipeline!
Dutton were also responsible for the recording of Sullivan's The Light of the World last April, so I guess that will follow hard on the heels of the Cellier.

Alan Howe

The Cellier (in an electronic rendition) is on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGJadbbuDbY

dmitterd

Other projects possibly in the pipeline include Volume 4 in their series of Widor's works for orchestra. Recording date and ensemble are TBC, but repertoire may include the incidental music from Conte d'Avril Op. 64, Suite from la Korrigane Op. 45, Ouverture portugaise [Op. 0].

cheers,
Daniel

BerlinExpat

Great there's going to be a volume 4 of Widor's orchestral music. I can't find a reference to the Ouverture portugaise anywhere, only an Ouverture espagnole from 1897. Could it be confusion or has a lost piece been found?

dmitterd

Ah - there's a little story behind the Ouverture portugaise. This extract from the preface to my edition, published in 2016 (www.crescendomusicpubs.com.au):

"The first International Exposition to be held in Porto, Portugal, opened in September 1865, when Widor was 21 years old. The renowned English organ-builder J.W. Walker had provided an organ for the large Porto Concert Hall and asked Cavaillé-Coll to recommend a capable organist who would be prepared to stay there for 'four or five months'. Widor happily accepted the invitation. His performances, partly improvised, were apparently well received and he was given a knighthood by the Portuguese monarch, Luiz I (1838—89). At age 91 (1935), Widor wrote in his remembrances: 'My sojourn in Porto brought me another artistic benefit—that of hearing my music performed by an orchestra for the first time. For the end of the exposition, they asked me to compose a grand overture for orchestra and organ. I wrote a very plain work, according to my ability. Even though it was well received, I did justice to it some years later by destroying it.'"

He may well have destroyed his copy, but thankfully the Biblioteca da Ajuda holds a copy of the full score that was bestowed on the king. More detailed information is given in the preface, but that's the short version of the story. :)

cheers,
Daniel

Alan Howe

...and a fascinating story it is too. Thanks for telling it to us!

BerlinExpat

Many thanks, Daniel. I love these kinds of stories and of course look forward to hearing this early Widor piece.