Ries Piano Concertos 8 (Op.151) & 9 (Op.177)

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 24 January 2018, 14:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...forthcoming from Hyperion in their RPC series:
https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/ym.asp?ym=2018_05
Piers Lane is accompanied by Leon Botstein and The Orchestra Now. Details of this band here:
http://theorchestranow.org/

semloh

Hmm... I wonder how they'll compare to the Naxos versions. The marketing ploy of undercutting seems to have given way to 'overcutting'.  ;D

eschiss1

Not enough of a market for two competing versions of these works? Well, we'll see I guess. _Maybe_ instead the extra exposure will do Ries good and lead some pleased "consumers" of the new release to explore the remaining concertos on Naxos, maybe not.

Alan Howe

sdtom

since I bought the Naxos I don't see the need to a work I seldom listen to.

Mark Thomas

I usually try and avoid duplication of repertoire like this, but surely it's better to await the reviews before dismissing this new issue?

Gareth Vaughan

I agree, Mark. I'll be interested to see the reviews.

sdtom

Alan Howe

I agree 75%. The other 25% of me will be keeping an eye on the reviews and opinions of friends here at UC.

sdtom

I will too Alan and maybe I'll succumb if the reviews are strong enough. I've been selling off some material on Amazon with modest success. Maybe somone will buy the Naxos :)
Tom

Hector

I really enjoy the recording of 8 & 9 by Naxos but I can't help suspecting there is something else there to be found by a second recording. The shape of the melody, the rhythmic detail, the orchestral and harmonic balance, all these things could be thought about again, but I think especially some of the pianist's passage work is more motivic than Hinterhubber on the Naxos suspected. 

sdtom

eschiss1

... well, the best kinds one found in Fanfare back in the day, detailed, closely following how each recording may or may not be paying attention to the markings in the score (the (Artaria NZ?) urtext that is- one assumes the first edition parts may have needed reconciliation with manuscripts) , etc.?