News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stanford at Carnegie Hall

Started by edurban, Thursday 25 January 2018, 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

edurban

I was delighted to see that the Feb. program of the New York Choral Society includes Stanford's wonderful Songs of the Fleet.  The theme of the afternoon is "inspired by the grandeur of the sea".  Jarrett Ott is the baritone soloist.  Feb 11@3pm.     Best, David

semloh

Ah, that's good to hear, David. As an old-fashioned Englishman, with a family connection to the Royal Navy, I have long loved this, and Songs of the Sea. Benjamin Luxon was magnificent on the EMI recording.
But, I wonder how it will go down with an American audience.

eschiss1

Tangentially, one knows that Mahler brought Stanford's 4th (some records say his 3rd, but I'm fairly positive they're mistaken) symphony on his last New York City trip, but is there any record how well it was received here?

edurban

Botstein's performance of the Irish Symphony a few years back was greeted with thunderous applause, but the terminology of navy life 100 plus years ago may throw a few people.  Ditto the Nelson reference!  Still, many timeless sentiments there that transcend National borders, all expressed in Stanford's most robust, tuneful style...it should do well.  David

chriskh

Re Mahler's performance of Stanford, I have a photocopy of a review of this concert in the New York Herald of 15 February 1911 and it clearly states that it is the 3rd (the Irish) symphony. The critic specifically remarks on the inclusion of "Let Erin remember" in the finale, so that removes any doubt that there may have been confusion over the numbering. Stanford's "Irish" was not unknown in New York, Damrosch conducted it several times. This doesn't seem to have prompted any investigation into his other symphonies and I do not believe the 4th has ever been performed in New York. Karl Muck conducted the 7th in Boston. One Stanford work that had considerable success in New York, for a time, was Phaudrig Crohoore. The Voyage of Maeldune had some success (but only a single performance, I believe) in Chicago.

eschiss1