Eberwein symphony 3, concertante (1994 performances)

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 01 February 2018, 12:26

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Available per Records International. I've seen some of his stuff @ IMSLP. 2017 CD, as noted possibly a reissue but if so I can't find the original either (I did notice this last year when looking for some information on the Concertante for IMSLP I think - eg average performance duration?..., it's now available in the states.)

jerfilm

hyperdanny

unfortunately the videos related to the first link appear to have been removed..they're fast!

anyway, they're available in Europe, too....just type Weimarer Klassik on the british amazon and the various issues all come out and it seems they actually had on older release, with rather ugly cover,,,,

mikehopf

I got  the original CD  on AMU Records (Nr 081-2) in a record sale a few years back. The cover was OK... I've seen worse.

Others in the series that I bought included:

1. Eberwein Entr'actes und Gesange zu Faust ( Weimarer Klassik 4)

2. Sinfonias by Gebel and Graf and a Seconde Concertante By Friedrich Muller  ( 1786-1871) - ( Hofkapelle Rudolstadt 1)

hyperdanny

@ mikehopf..can you tell me something about the music in n.2? those names are novel to me..

mikehopf

The first two are too early for UC :

Georg Gebel ( 1709 - 1753): Sinfonie in G

C.E. Graf ( 1723-1804) Sinfonie in D Op.16/4

See earlier message re: Fred Muller

eschiss1

Oh! I was thinking Franz Xaver Gebel (1787-1843), who is within our remit I think - I'm not sure if anything of his has been recorded. Wrote a lot of string quintets as I recall.

mikehopf

Re recordings of music by Franz Gebel:

String Quintets Op.20 & 25 on MDG

String Quartets in D & Eb on Profil

String Quintet #8 + Cello Sonata on Profil

Alan Howe

The last of these features a horrible period-instrument performance of the Cello Sonata. The most 'listenable' of the three is the MDG CD of String Quintets. It also probably has the best music. Now back to the topic, please.

Hector

I greatly enjoyed the Eberwein. The music is in the Late classical style, and has an ambitious scale. Similar to Ries. The performances are problematic, but not so much as to distract.

terry martyn

The Friedrich Muller concertante work for hunting horn and clarinet is pretty decent. The second movement is very reminiscent of the Adagio from Beethoven's Ninth.