News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Eugène Nollet (1829-1904)

Started by remonannetti, Thursday 01 February 2018, 17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

remonannetti

Does anyone have any information on this French harpist and composer for the piano? There are a few interesting pieces by him on YouTube and some of his scores can be downloaded elsewhere on the Internet. I also play a study in A minor with no opus number but by "Nollet & Mansour" - I presume Mansour was a collaborator, anyone heard of him? Nollet's piano music is very appealing, perhaps not quite on the level of Chaminade but well worth a listen.

Mark Thomas

Unfortunately I can't help you with Nollet, but welcome to UC, remonannetti.

eschiss1

Well, his birth year isn't actually all that sure. His death year of 1904 is inferred from an obituary @ Le ménestrel, 17 June 1904.. It contains a little bit of information...

The footnotes to a Berlioz "Critique musicale 1823-1863" (reprint 2009 with footnotes) gives his full name as "Théodore Alexandre Eugène Nollet".

remonannetti

Many thanks for this information - still can't find any trace of Mansour, his co-writer of the A minor study I mentioned, but will keep on trying.

remonannetti

Success - have just found that Achille Mansour (died 1889) was the composer of  "Cours élémentaire de piano divisé en 3 livres" (1867, published by Girod, Paris - see http://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb431301228), so this ties in with his collaboration with Nollet.

Incidentally, does anyone know of any other similar collaborations by composers to provide didactic materials for piano students?