Rheinberger Orchestral/Choral works

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 04 March 2018, 13:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...are contained on a remarkably cheap 2-CD set on the Christophorus label. It's been mentioned at UC before, but years ago. So, if you're in the market for some generous-hearted romantic music, pretty well done here, do consider this set:
https://www.mdt.co.uk/rheinberger-symphonic-works-brandenburghisches-staatasorchester-frankfurt-athinaos-christophorus-2cds.html

UnsungMasterpieces

Heard the set on Spotify some time ago if I remember correctly, and my personal favourite here probably is Das Tal des Espingo, especially the fragment around the 10-minute mark.

Is anyone aware of any other Liechtensteiner composers from the Romantic era by any chance?

eschiss1

Not I. The "Liechtensteiner people" category on IMSLP has no one- Romantic or E-20th-century or Modern- except Rheinberger in it, for that matter.

Monaco has a similarly small population and I've heard of at least one composer from there (Louis Abbiate- we've had two concertos of his uploaded way back when- they were on old LPs, our rules would understandably not allow this now.) (Malta has 10 times the population so is not a good standard of comparison. Anyhow, off-topic. Sorry.)

UnsungMasterpieces

Except for Rheinberger I do know of 3 other Liechtensteiner composers, and those are all still alive; Jürg Hanselmann, Marco Schädler & Matthias Frommelt.
This is all modern music, which is outside the remit of this forum.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Wallenstein is a most entertaining piece. Considerably beyond Mendelssohn/Schumann in idiom - and especially in weight and complexity of orchestration. He'd obviously been listening to others, e.g. Smetana, even Raff.

Ilja

... and if you want to hear it, this live performance on YouTube isn't too shabby, played by the Sinfonieorchester Liechtenstein under Florian Krumpöck.