A continuum, not a cliff edge...

Started by Mark Thomas, Sunday 11 February 2018, 19:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

No. 2 is a good work - and programming it is pretty adventurous, I must say (well done, whoever is responsible) - but I am lucky enough to have a photocopy of the MS of No. 4 - and that is terrific (IMHO). I wish someone would record it. I was trying to get Chandos interested - back in the days when they recorded lots of British symphonic music (not anymore, alas - sighs!).

eschiss1

I found out on their Instagram account (of all places) and sent my applause-in-advance there (or I hope I did, I should check.) Agreed of course, always encourage the behavior one wants to, well, encourage :)

matesic

My comment on new music was tongue in cheek (although I am inclined to think..). I'm sure there exists another forum where they campaign for many more performances of it and less romantic slush.

To celebrate Ruth Gipp's 60th birthday back in 1981 her friends and supporters arranged for her to conduct a concert entirely of her own works in the Queen Elizabeth Hall. I can't remember the whole programme but it did include a symphony and her Leviathan for contra-bassoon and orchestra. I suspect she financed it herself but judging from the number of empty seats whoever it was must have made a thumping loss.

Gareth Vaughan

That's a very sad story. I expect part of the problem was that she was alive and a woman!

eschiss1

I hope one realizes that there are a few of us who don't characterize Romantic music as slush (can such things be at their worst or perhaps even at their humdrum average? Sturgeon's law, etc.) but I have heard Leviathan too (which I think has only been recorded in a piano-accompanied arrangement, so far, commercially anyway) and it's a pity that wasn't one of the two times I was in London. (Maybe the tape I have (had?) of Leviathan -is- from that concert. I don't know.)

Meanwhile the prospects for the lesser-known Romantic works are hopefully not too Grimm- I hope- though to realize greater exposure will take focus and work, as always...
And I of course must agree with the thesis of the article, as presented here :)

sdtom

matesic

eschiss1

The weather out here's been frightful, slush doesn't produce thoughts very delightful... oh wait, how does that song go...? :) Sorry, sorry sorry...!

eschiss1

Myaskovsky sym 16 seems maybe a good example (to me and predictable given my interests) of a half off the not-a-cliff symphony: catchy, enjoyable opening but almost certainly never going to leave niche programming.

MartinH

Since eschiss1 mentioned the Grimm...does anyone know if orchestral parts are available and if so, where are they and is it possible to get copied? IMSLP has the score, and I have access to an orchestra for a 2.5 hour reading session this summer - that could be a real treat, but the idea of making my own set of parts from the score with Finale is intimidating.

sdtom

MartinH

Ugh! :o
Currently working on an overture by Emilie Mayer - it's taking up a lot of time. At least the Grimm symphony isn't hand-written.

Gareth Vaughan

Unfortunately, I cannot locate an extant set of parts for the Grimm. It was published by Rieter-Biedermann and an awful lot of their stuff we talked missing in the second World War and its aftermath. They could be in a cellar in Russia!!!
If you do undertake the Herculean task of creating a set of parts you will be doing the musical world a favour, and perhaps you could lodge a set with Fleisher. The availability of parts may help to encourage a performance.

eschiss1

I have a piano quartet in queue (... though it's been so long I fear they've probably understandably turned to someone else, sorry :( :( ) but I can try to continue with the qt and get started with the symphony

Alan Howe

The Grimm Symphony was published by Konsid Musikverlag in a new edition back in 2007, so I imagine they'd be the ones to contact about sets of parts: verlag@konsid-musik-de