A continuum, not a cliff edge...

Started by Mark Thomas, Sunday 11 February 2018, 19:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks a lot, Alan. Spot on. Here they are: http://www.konsid-musik.de/Notensatzstudio.html  Partitur und Stimmen.
And here is more detail: http://www.konsid-musik.de/index1.html

Parts are available for hire - price on application.

MartinH

Thanks for finding that. I'll contact them and see if I can afford it! Nice that they provided mp3 files, as funky as they sound, they're better than my realization at the piano which made it sound like Webern or Stockhausen had a go at it!

Gareth Vaughan

I see they publish some other orchestral music by Grimm:
Suite in Kanonform op. 10 für Streichorchester
Suite Nr. 3 in G moll op. 25 für Streichorchester
though parts for both of those are also available from Fleisher.

chill319

QuoteI'd certainly recommend listening to Price's enjoyable, if rather naïve, Symphony No.1

Price's Symphony 3 (1940) shows that she got better with more practice. It's available on Koch 3-7518-2 HI.

semloh

I hope I haven't misunderstood the intention of this thread, but we seem to have meandered away from the topic.

I suspect that the people on UC generally wouldn't think that there is any "cliff edge", but it's perhaps a common view among the wider listening public. Categorical thinking is totally out of place in the world of music. There is rather a continuum, and it's a different continuum for each individual, based on their musical tastes. What one person regards as 'good' or 'great' music might be dismissed as rubbish by someone else. My neighbour was astounded when I said I didn't like 'country music'. Indeed, I had to repeat my response three times before she would believe me, and then I was accused of having no soul, and no appreciation of 'good' music. Pigeonholing music can be useful, but surely nobody on UC would argue that the boundaries are necessarily distinct and impermeable, especially when it comes to the greatness or otherwise of particular composers, compositions or performers.

MartinH

Sounds like you live next to my sister-in-law. Several years ago I was in Salzburg at the summer festival. After an exciting concert, I went to the Country Saloon for drinks, drinks, and dancing. Sent her a selfie - now she knows I like good music!

Double-A

Quote from: semloh on Tuesday 27 February 2018, 09:53
There is rather a continuum, and it's a different continuum for each individual, based on their musical tastes. What one person regards as 'good' or 'great' music might be dismissed as rubbish by someone else.

This "theory of absolute relativity of taste" comes up occasionally on this forum and it always makes me uncomfortable.  I think it can get a bit too easy to just retreat behind the platitude of "de gustibus non est disputandum".  It is not that I have a "rating system" ready to go but it seems to me we--those of us who have some familiarity with 19th center classical music in the case of "Unsung Composers"--agree on many things even if we differ on some. 

Maybe we should avoid expressing dislike of things we are only marginally acquainted with such as country music and just accept that life is to short to develop expertise on everything.

Our German teacher had this definition of great art:  It appeals to people regardless of their social standing or level of education.  It manages in other words to include features that have broad appeal while avoiding to dumb down the whole thing.  His examples:  Chaplin's "Modern Times" and the Magic Flute.

Alan Howe

I have never believed in an 'absolute relativity of taste'; it seems to me blindingly obvious that Beethoven 9 is greater music than, say, Gernsheim 4 and that there are certain objective criteria by which we can make judgments. Not that we shouldn't argue about what those criteria are and whether they are fufilled or not - we definitely should. A forum that merely exchanged subjective likes and dislikes would be a pointless exercise in talking past one another.

Mark Thomas

And I'm not at all sure that we want to get back into that debate do we? I can't immediately locate the thread or threads where we chewed over the issue a few years ago, but the discussion (and arguments) went around and around getting absolutely nowhere, eventually degenerating to tedious restatements of unmoveable positions.

Alan Howe

sdtom

Like Alan I believe the majority of unsung works are in second place to Beethoven's 9th if we are using this work as a template.

Ilja

*stifles urge to exclaim something unconstructive*

I'm with Mark on this one. Past instances have demonstrated that these debates, on this forum at least, tend to go nowhere.

Alan Howe