News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Playing Nimbus CDs

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 01 October 2017, 20:55

Previous topic - Next topic

adriano

Yes, some of the Guild and Sterling CDs were also CDRs...

dhibbard

Alan  here is the link 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TLIMZO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_13?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

actually it wasn't a CD but a CD-R 
Aleksandar Raychev, Orchestral Works: Symphony No.2

Alan Howe

Well, there's a link on the page that explains the situation, so you shouldn't have been surprised! And, obviously the page actually states: When sold by Amazon.com, this product will be manufactured on demand using CD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.

In any case, the point of this thread is to identify problems with playing CD-Rs. So...

adriano

Suppose that some Arkiv Production re-issues are also CDR's. Today they look very similar to real CDs. I am holding Arkiv's DG reissue of Orff's "De Temporum Fine Comoedia" - which looks very much indeed like a CDR, and just one with a very primitive front label...

TerraEpon

Quote from: hadrianus on Friday 23 March 2018, 18:13
Suppose that some Arkiv Production re-issues are also CDR's. Today they look very similar to real CDs. I am holding Arkiv's DG reissue of Orff's "De Temporum Fine Comoedia" - which looks very much indeed like a CDR, and just one with a very primitive front label...

Pretty sure all ArkivMusic CDs, ever, have been CD-Rs.

hyperdanny

yes it's correct, I have owned several Arkiv cd's and they were all CD-R's..the company was always clear about it.
I have to say that the quality , both in reproduction problems and sound quality, is superior to the wyastone product, which I do not like.
For example I had the Mehul set manufactured by wyastone, then I was able to get the original release (not CD-R) and both the smoothness of reproduction and the sound quality are superior.

Technically , CD-R and "real" CD's are not the same: the physical cd's are of a different quality , and the mastering process is different.
I so dlslike them that I tried hard to substitute them all with the real thing: for example I was able to re-buy almost all of the Arkiv from Japan in SHM-CD form (special high-quality material & low-error rate Japanese CD's) ..so far the only Arkiv CD-R left in my collection is the Stenhammar-Jarvi set.