Anton Simon PC & Chaminade Suite No.1

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 28 February 2020, 10:13

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

oh, I was thinking of James Simon (1880-1944) with that tangential comment. About whom more some other time.

eschiss1

also, it's " Danse de Bayadères : fantaisie pour grand orchestre, op. 34" - material @ Fleisher :) - ded to Edouard Salomon.

4candles

Hi markthomas.

Others have obviously invested far more time in it than I have, it seems, but I think my interest in this composer and his Piano Concerto in particular was piqued by a book review (?) I read about a decade ago mentioning the work as being forgotten or worthy of revival.

I'm not a professional musician, nor do I claim to be any kind of expert in classical music, as some other amateur musicians like to think they are. So I'm not directly aware of the work's merit, other than the fact it was good enough for Mahler to take on as conductor during a trip to Moscow in 1897, with Victor Staub as soloist. And Simon seems to have come from good stock, too, having trained at the Paris Conservatoire. Without having yet heard it, I imagine it won't be particularly revolutionary. I just like to know certain composers who are finally getting some 'time in the sun', so to speak.

I've heard good things about the other couple of recordings available including works by Simon. I can only go on what I read and make my own mind up about.

Simon's workslist seems pretty extensive, so after I've heard this recording, I'm sure I'd like to hear more.

Thanks and best wishes.

4candles

A certain 'princess ida' has left a review of the Anton Simon disk on Amazon UK here, which gives a summary impression of all works included.

4c

musiclover

If anyone is interested I've listened to the disc several times. The piano concerto is a good work I think; it may not be ground breaking (it probably wasn't when it was written) but it shows that Anton Simon had a musical pallet that was certainly worth exploring. The first movement does everything that this sort of piece should. It introduces the work in a fresh and invigorating way and although it doesn't move the symphonic structures of the likes of Tchaikovsky and indeed Rubinstein along it contains several really lovely moments. The second movement is absolutely beautiful, with a melody that sounds like it comes from a much later period. The finale is a fun and with a real sparkle. The piano writing for the whole concerto is sparkly and rich. The pianist Victor Sangiorgio (a Dutton regular) plays with real style and taste whilst making it all sound very natural and almost easy!
The other works show real imagination even if Simon ultimately lacks that last thing that represents true originality and genius. But then so do many other composers of any period. It doesn't stop the music from being good and worth hearing. I liked La Revue de Nuit very much, it's essentially a tone poem that is clearly influenced by exoticism and is quite close in style to Rimsky Korsakov in my mind.
The Plainte Elegiac is quite wonderful. Simon's use of both melody and harmony somehow puts this ahead of what in the other works is traditional. I keep listening to it and it reveals something else on each listen.
The Chaminade is delightful, and not as remote from Simon as one night at first think. Simon was a composer taken out of his native land who then very much assimilates his adopted country's musical style, whilst Chaminade was a composer steeped in the salon music style who occasionally dips her toes into the waters of more serious and larger scale music. I like the suite and would love to hear that Symphony of hers.
The BBC concert orchestra play with real verve and colour and Martin Yates clearly demonstrates a real affection for all the works and brings performances out of the works that they probably on first view don't show. The sound is, as with all Dutton recordings, absolutely first rate.
I think on balance Simon is a bit of a find and more than just being worthy of mention because he contributed to some other composers ballets.
Hope this description of the CD hasn't gone on too long!!!!

Alan Howe