Author Topic: Florence Price VCs 1 & 2  (Read 316 times)

Alan Howe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Florence Price VCs 1 & 2
« on: Tuesday 13 February 2018, 12:10 »
Thanks to Alex Ross' article (see excerpt, below), we are now alerted to the release on Albany of Florence Price's VCs 1 & 2:
http://www.albanyrecords.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=1da73766c190fa0bc78a1676128f1f7a&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AR&Product_Code=TROY1706&Category_Code=a-Orch

Here is Ross' assessment of these concertos:

Kahng’s new recording of the Violin Concertos, with Ryan Cockerham conducting the Janáček Philharmonic, is Price’s best outing on disk to date. Kahng plays the solo parts with lustrous tone and glistening facility. A few passages are so obviously indebted to famous Romantic concertos that one suspects Price of putting us on. The accompaniment keeps dancing around the expected, sidestepping into a bluesy progression here, a sultry dissonance there. The second concerto, which Price wrote in 1952, shortly before her death, begins with jarring chords of D major and F minor, establishing unstable harmonic terrain. The hyper-Romantic solo part now seems like a visitor from another world. This terse, beguiling piece has an autumnal quality reminiscent of the final works of Richard Strauss. It deserves to be widely heard.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/02/05/the-rediscovery-of-florence-price?mc_cid=f57beebbd2&mc_eid=9d71772906

sdtom

• View Profile
Re: Florence Price VCs 1 & 2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 2018, 16:00 »
Strong recommendation ;D
Tom
Contempt prior to investigation keeps you in everlasting ignorance

Jimfin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 February 2018, 06:13 »
Thanks for letting me know. I really enjoyed her third symphony, so will be ordering this!

Christopher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:41 »
I bet that Chineke! (the orchestra established in the UK in 2015 to provide career opportunities to young Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) classical musicians in the UK and Europe) will be having a close look at Florence Price's music.  I see that they already performed the 1st movement from her Symphony in E minor last year at South Bank.  (They had a Late Night Prom last August, I was there and they are very good.)