Noskowski and Maliszewski symphonies on IMSLP

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 21 February 2018, 00:33

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I didn't have anything to do with this, but now that they're there, I thought it worth mentioning that the rights-holders (and the Opole Philharmonic) have typeset and uploaded some rare works by Noskowski (symphony no.2 Elegiac), Maliszewski (4th of his 4 symphonies) (and an overture Fröhliche by him too), at least part of an oratorio and several symphonic poems by Nowowiejski ("Powrót Syna Marnotrawnego", Op.3 and his symphonic poems Op.17 e.g. Nina i Pergolesi), and works by Lessel and Kurpinski too. In case any of this interests people (the Noskowski's been recorded and I think recently at least one of the Nowowiejski works too) I thought it worth mentioning maybe...

Gareth Vaughan

You bet, Eric. Thank you so much for letting us know.

Christopher

It seems there is a recording of Maliszewski's 4th symphony from a concert posted on facebook.  I can't find it on youtube.  Does anyone have the ability to record from facebook?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=222199142316226

[FRIDAY CONCERT]
Decoding Polish, unjustly forgotten music for several years is a task treated by the management and bands of the Opole Philharmonic with particular attention. The culmination of activities centered around this topic was a concert on the hundredth anniversary of Poland regaining independence. Today we share with you the recording of the Symphony No. 4 recorded in D major "Reborn and found Homeland" op. 21 Witold Maliszewski.

This composition has already been created in an independent state. "Reborn and found Homeland". Two adjectives combine here in an extraordinary way two realities - global (in which our country was in 1923) and the personal of Maliszewski, an artist from the borderland of several cultures and worlds. Until now, the descriptions of the Fourth Symphony have been works in the field of music theory, since the work remained in the manuscript for almost a century. Thanks to the efforts of the Opole Philharmonic, this song was recorded and released in 2018, and the audience participating in the concert on November 11, 2018 witnessed its premiere performance.

eschiss1

Joachim Raff

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 20 May 2020, 12:56
This link https://www.getfvid.com/facebook-converter claims to be such a converter. Anyhow, thanks!!!!

Cool, if it works. Beware though, some online converters only allow maybe 10 mins of music or so. After that they want a premium to use their services.   

Mark Thomas

You can download a recording of Maliszewski's Fourth Symphony made from the Facebook video in our Downloads Board here.

Mark Thomas

Mind you, I'm not very impressed by this run of the mill, unimaginative work. It's not a patch on his First or Third Symphonies.

Gareth Vaughan

Agreed, Mark. I listened to it last night and was distinctly underwhelmed.

Holger

Just one correction: the conductor's name is certainly not Józefa Elsnera. This is actually the name of the Philharmonia – could be translated as Józef Elsner Philharmonia Opole, where Józef Elsner or also Joseph Elsner (1769–1854) was a composer of the pre-Chopin generation. As this link demonstrates:
http://cojestgrane24.wyborcza.pl/cjg24/Opole/1,30,102964,Uroczysty-koncert-z-okazji-Narodowego-Swieta-Niepo.html
the conductor's name is actually Przemysław Neumann.

Alan Howe

Thanks. I've made the necessary changes to the details in the Downloads board. Good of you to help us get this right.

Mark Thomas

Ah, thanks very much Holger, I appreciate the correction. The mp3s tags will need to be corrected by anyone downloading them, of course and I've made a note to that effect.

tappell

Thank you for the download. He is not a composer I have been particularly aware of, although I see was born in Ukraine then part of the Russia Empire, and studied under Rimsky Korsakov. Should make an interesting listen