Henri Marteau: Complete works for string quartet vol.1

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 21 February 2018, 18:14

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Just judging from Steve's recordings/renderings of the quartets on IMSLP, a very good choice for commercial recording (IMHO).

Gareth Vaughan

I agree. These will be interesting disks.

At the risk of going off topic I would just like to say that I do wish someone (Hyperion maybe!) would record Marteau's two violin concertos. Judging from the unfortunately poor recording of the 2nd on YouTube they would be impressive. Fleisher has score and parts for No. 1 in C sharp minor, Op. 2 (also the suite for violin & orchestra in A major, Op. 15).

matesic

Whoopee, definitely about time! When they've finished how about Ewald Straesser's five?

Alan Howe

String Quartet No.2 Op.9 (pub.1905) is a heavily chromatic piece, very much in thrall to Reger, so if you're allergic to the chamber music of that great master, you won't like this (it's not my cup of tea); nevertheless it offers a fascinating window into the world of the sort of over-ripe late romanticism that really had nowhere to go and would inevitably lead to Schoenberg, Berg etc. Much of it is very beautiful in its own way, but listening to is like trying to fight your way through a suet pudding without getting indigestion...