News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Cowen Symphony No.5

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 26 February 2018, 22:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I must apologise: I clearly wasn't listening carefully enough to this rather serious, ambitious work. I still think the second movement is a bit incongruous in context, but nevertheless this is a fine piece.

Mark Thomas

Oh, I'm pleased that you've re-evaluated Cowen's symphony. It really is the best by some margin of the three which we've been able to hear, even if that 2nd movement lacks the gravity of the other three.

Alan Howe

I agree, Mark. Many thanks for recording it.

jerfilm

semloh

I find it enjoyable, but no more than the 3rd - which is the only other one I know.
Perhaps I'm missing something - I'll listen again!

Mark Thomas

What sets it apart from the other two recorded symphonies for me is that Cowen seems to have avoided their shallower crowd-pleasing tunefulness and perky orchestration and, at least in three of the movements, gone for something altogether more serious and dark. It's telling, I think, that unlike the Scandinavian and the Idyllic (or the Welsh, which hasn't been recorded), this work is untitled. His material remains memorable, but the themes are a lot less song-like and, for want of a better word, obvious than in the other works, shorter and more suited to development. Although the second movement is very attractive, it's much more in keeping with the other symphonies than it is with the 5th; an unfortunate miscalculation IMHO. As with the Konzertstuck for piano and orchestra, this symphony points to what Cowen could have achieved, but doesn't seem to have done in the rest of his work that we know. 

Alan Howe

Quotethis symphony points to what Cowen could have achieved

...and, although agreeing with the thrust of Mark's assessment, for me the result even in this 5th Symphony is only partially successful. I find myself waiting for something major to happen, only for the music to fall short. Compare this piece with, say, Cliffe's 1st Symphony of just two years later and you'll see straight away what I mean.

Mark Thomas

Yes, I completely agree. I'm only pointing up it's merit relative to other works by Cowen, not in absolute terms.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Probably already mentioned (perhaps even by me and I apologize) but the Cowen score is @ IMSLP, in its 1906 Novello publication, mirroring a Sibley Scan. See IMSLP.

sdtom

Are there high quality digital/CD recordings of him. I like it very much.

eschiss1

Don't know if this helps, but there's a 2010 recording of his Concertstück on Hyperion (issued 2011), a 2005 recording of his 6th symphony on Classico (issued 2006)... don't know the sound quality though.

sdtom

worth checking out. How is the 6th Symphony Alan/Mark?

sdtom

The second movement belongs in a separate orchestral piece, certainly not in this Symphony.

sdtom