Upcoming on Naxos: Farrenc symphonies 2 & 3

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 01 March 2018, 21:57

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

The third recording, I think, of each of these works, but they're good enough to deserve at least this many.

Naxos 8.573706 (April).

raffite33

Got my copy in the mail a few days ago.  I have both the CPO CDs by Goritzki & the NDR Radiophilharmonie, which have all three symphonies and two short overtures.  I'm no music critic, but, to my ears, the CPO recordings are decidedly superior to this new Naxos disc.  You can hear clips from both on the JPC Klassik website.  I've had the CPO discs for years and think fairly highly of them.  On the Naxos disc, the ensemble playing is not nearly as crisp.  Maybe they were under-rehearsed.

eschiss1

I seem to recall reading of an earlier recording by Stefan Sanderling/Orch de Bretagne on Arion in 2001 - anyone heard that one, any triangulations?

raffite33

The last time I searched, the closest thing I could find to a review of the Sanderling set was a short comment buried within a longer customer review of one of the CPO discs on Amazon UK.  The reviewer indicated that the (live) performances were very good, but the sound was not.  JPC Klassik has sound clips, not that they are always good indicators.

eschiss1

Hrm. Unfortunately while some items conducted by Stefan Sanderling are @ NML (mostly items he conducted actually on the Naxos label- no, that does not go-without-saying) they don't seem to include the 2001 Arion release (... at this time) though the cpo and Naxos recordings of his 2nd and 3rd symphonies are @ the streaming site, fwiw. I think I've heard the cpo recording awhile back and the Naxos recording recently, but will do a more nearby-in-time comparison sometime. :) (I also, until June, have a copy on loan of Catherine Legras' 'Louis Farrenc, compositrice du XIXe siècle", sent to my library from Brigham Young, which I'll try to make some use of.)