Hans Bronsart von Schellendorff

Started by Peter1953, Thursday 02 September 2010, 21:20

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

It is indeed too bad that when Hyperion came out with their RPC series we discovered how many of those old Vox Turnabout and Candide LPs were from editions that had huge bits of the concertos hacked out, usually tutti passages, but sometimes more than that (c.f. Goetz PC, final movement).

giles.enders

I have always looked upon these Vox/Turnabout records as something to encourage further exploration. I collected many of them and the frustration was that there were few other recordings of the composers they recorded. They were released on the LP format where space was a premium.

jerfilm

eschiss1

Interesting that the concerto seems not to have been published until 1873. I'm guessing it was composed sometime earlier (like the Fruhlingsphantasie, which was published in 1880 but composed in 1859, or at least that's the date on the autograph short score...)

giles.enders

Does any one know where I might find the score of Bronsart's Piano Quintet ?

Mark Thomas

I didn't realise that he'd written one. It's not listed in his remarkably brief Hofmeister entry, or on WorldCat, so presumably it's only in manuscript. Are you sure that it still exists, Giles? The two symphonies are unfortunately lost.

giles.enders

I believe it was written in 1897 that is all I know.

thalbergmad

Pazdirek, lists Op.1 to Op.11 with Op.3, 7 & 8 missing, so it might be one of those or perhaps never published.

Thal

eschiss1

IMSLP listed an Op.3 but I don't know on what grounds (it seems to be given without opus number in available-to-me sources; I moved it into that category instead.)

Any idea where most of Bronsart's manuscripts might be? RISM gives the location of the autograph of his Spring Fantasy, but...

Gauk

Quote from: semloh on Tuesday 02 July 2013, 05:31
When you think about it, those 'Vox boxes' and Turnabout LPs included a remarkable selection of neglected music and little-known composers.

And thanks, in many cases, to Michael Ponti, a pianist whose playing I have always admired greatly.

eschiss1

Oddly, the Amazon.com description of the Ponti Liszt/Bronsart/d'Albert 1991 VoxBox is a bit confuzzled- and so is the Worldcat (here) - both in some way mixed up with a Christmas album, for some reason. No clue why!...

giles.enders

Despite searching, I have been unable to attribute the following opus numbers;  2, 7, 8, 10, & 14-20

Any ideas ?

eschiss1

(Assuming 10 was included by mistake there!)

Op.2 is already listed above (Nachklänge book 2). Could Op.21 be a mistake of some kind- maybe it's Ingeborg's work rather than Hans'?

Yep, definitely. So the reason you can't attribute Opp.14-20 is because there's -no need to-; you're assuming a gap - an op.21 and a hole to fill between op.13 and 21...- but the op.21 in that list _isn't_ actually by Hans Bronsart, it's by his wife, and that should be fixed.

That just leaves Opp.7 and 8.

eschiss1

BTW:

Melusine Op.9 is not, afaik, a "march". Where do you get that? It's a "märchen" (or singular thereof?), which is a folktale. That "märchen" looks like "march" is called a "false cognate" by linguists, but is not the fault of German or English.

Re Op.21 there is a "Fantasiestück f. Violine u. Orgel oder pfte." (published 1858, 1873) by Hans von Bülow but I don't think it has an opus number, and it is, I'm sure, rather different from his wife's Op.21 fantasie for violin and piano (in E-flat I think and published in 1891, but I don't know more about it?)

Alan Howe

It's 'Märchen', please. Nouns in German begin with a capital letter. The meaning is indeed 'fairy-tale' or 'fable'. The plural is the same as the singular. 'March' in German is 'Marsch' (plural: 'Märsche').