Sinigaglia Violin Concerto

Started by eschiss1, Monday 02 April 2018, 01:04

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

2018 issue (I think) on Tactus (2nd commercial recording of the work) - see Naxos announcement of May 2018 release.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

I see it is a live performance. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I hope the audience weren't consumptive!

alberto

The Tactus (distributed by Naxos) live recording by Laura Marzadori was, maybe for a long time, available on You Tube. I listened and saw it, maybe a couple of years ago.
Now on YT another, much older performance from the fifties may be heard.
BTW on YT may be heard and seen a very recent performance of the amusing Danza Piemontese op.31 n.1 (Michele Mariotti cond., Orch.Nazionale RAI).

eschiss1

the YT recording is from 1959 and originates from RAI. (Thanks to user Amphissa for the info.)

chriskh

The YouTube version of the performance by Laura Marzadori was disfigured by a bad flute entry for an important countermelody in the second movement, unfortunately the player stuck to it all through, heedless of the Ivesian harmonies that were resulting. I have had assurance that this will be corrected from rehearsal material for the disc. This will not improve the fact that the performance is awfully slow, if you don't mind ancient off-air sound you might get a better idea of this very beautiful work from Mosesti and Scaglia, also on YouTube (and also in a big box from Rhine Classics) 

Alan Howe

eschiss1

how was their recording of the Wolf-Ferrari concerto for the same label?

Gareth Vaughan

Slow! You are not kidding. Positively funereal in comparison to the older performance. The new one adds over 8 minutes to the performance time and sounds heavy and lifeless. What a disappointment and a missed opportunity.

Alan Howe

I've crossed it off my wants list.

chriskh

Some of the extra time in the Marzadori recording is because they opened out a cut in the finale, but it was only a small one and probably does not account even for two minutes

Alan Howe

Yes, but what a missed opportunity - a third-rate performance of a lovely piece. Stick with the lovely performance on Rhine Classics:
https://www.rhineclassics.com/products/the-art-of-violin-3-sinigaglia-illersberg-violin-concertos-1cd
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/art-of-violin-3/hnum/7512536

Come on Hyperion - this is right up your strada!