Sgambati Symphonies 1 & 2

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 12 April 2018, 22:26

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

A (negative) review in the May 23 1891 Atheneum is also not helpful in this regard (note that the reviewer wished that the 2nd symphony, so far unheard in England, had been programmed instead- it doesn't seem that any bias on the author's part against Sgambati was the cause. But in any case the duration is hard to ascertain.)

rosflute

I have a copy of the score of the Epitalamio and started making a new edition several years ago. However, I put it to one side, partly on account of other works occupying my time, and partly due to, what I felt at the time, weaknesses in the manner of the orchestration. I'll get around to doing more to it one day, however!

Alan Howe

I'm sure we'd all like to encourage you in that enterprise, Roz - but I imagine it's a big job.

Alan Howe

Excerpts are now available at jpc. Two terrific symphonies, by the way; anyone buying this and, say, the two Martucci symphonies on BIS is going to have a very different view of Italian symphonism than has been represented in the text books...

adriano

My cpo CD is on the way already. As far as Martucci is concerned, please don't understimate that pioneering complete orchestral works set conducted by my late friend Francesco D'Avalos! It was re-released by Brilliant Classics years ago.

Alan Howe

No, they're excellent, of course. And very cheap as re-issued by Brilliant some while back (unfortunately deleted).

Gareth Vaughan

How do you rate the Naxos recordings of Martucci's orchestral works with the Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma under Francesco La Vecchia?

Alan Howe

Rather stolid by comparison - and the strings sound a bit thin. Perfectly fine, of course, if nothing else were available.

Gareth Vaughan

semloh

Thanks for the interesting exchanges here - we are fortunate in having such erudite and informed contributors at UC.

Alan Howe

D'Avalos is superb. There are used copies of his CDs available (i.e. the original ASV releases).

adriano

:)
I just listened to the new cpo Sgambati CD - it took 3 years to have it issued!
Wonderfully conducted and played. I am a great admirer of Ola Rudner.

hyperdanny

Sgambati was such an amazing discovery..here in Italy hardly anyone is aware of this "lost generation" of instrumental composers..when the Verdi Orchestra here in Milan programmed the 2nd I did not really know what to expect..and I have been hooked ever since.
I am very much looking forward to having this new cd, especially on sonic grounds  ...the Attardi concert here in Milan was recorded, alas, a little too much roughly by Amadeus.
I am very curious about a different ( a little more "Germanic", it seems) approach to the 2nd might work...I suspect very well: the Attardi is very good, but could have been driven a little harder.
I am less sure sure about the 1st, where La Vecchia's echt-Italianate way works wonders for me,I find it just right.
But we'll see , Rudner is a very good conductor.

adriano

Sgambati was, incidentally, Elsa Respighi's piano teacher  :)

Alan Howe

The cpo performance of No.1 is a good bit crisper and more athletic than La Vecchia on Naxos:

I              II            III           IV           V            TT
Rudner:          9:30         9:55        5:24        6:42       6:56       38:30
La Vecchia:   10:29        11:11        5:47        7:47       7:49       43:03