News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

BBC Proms 2018 concerts

Started by dmitterd, Friday 20 April 2018, 05:31

Previous topic - Next topic

dmitterd

Now that the BBC Proms 2018 listing has been released, I'd be interested to see what people are looking forward to, unsung-wise.

Personally, I think it's a shame they're only performing the Prelude to Act 2 of Smyth's 'The Wreckers' (Prom 24).

eschiss1

Parry's Symphony no.5 (called Symphonic Fantasia when published by Goodwin & Tabb in 1922) in prom 17 doesn't get out live much, afaik. And Lili Boulanger's "Pour les funerailles d'un soldat" (Prom 41) looks interesting. (The one Prom I went to had two of her psalms - 24 and 130 - together with Sibelius 2 and Debussy's La Mer. (Tortelier and BBC, 1999.) The Boulanger psalm settings were especially wonderful. Psalm 130 - Du fond de l'abime - is being performed again this year, in fact, in Prom 44 on August 15. Her chamber music is in Proms at ... Cadogan Hall 8 on September 3.)

As already noted, Prom 66 on 1 September has Schmidt's 4th symphony.

Ebubu

For me, I have noted also Prom 66 (Dukas and Schmidt AND Petrenko and the Berlin Philh !!!!!!!!)... The same day (afternoon) a concert with a concert version of Trial by Jury and music by contemporary composers.  The Sept 2 prom (Strauss) looks interesting too...
And also Mahler 8th (July 22) and Turangalila (July 18th), and maybe Debussy/Stravinsky (July 26th).

Alan Howe

Schmidt 4 is about the best the Proms can do for UC-remit music this year. It's all very depressing. Parry 5 was done a few years back.

Gareth Vaughan

I see Morfydd Owen's Nocturne is getting an outing. She's very unsung. I am really surprised about that piece of programming. There is also, I see, a performance of Holst's Ode to Death, which is hardly ever done anywhere. Plenty of Vaughan Williams and Holst, which is good for me. It's not a bad Proms season overall. Much better than some of recent years.

Alan Howe

But nothing from the riches of the unsung 19th century repertoire...

Gareth Vaughan

No. Agreed. Largely the same old stuff.