Bruckner's String Quintet - arranged for orchestra

Started by Mark Thomas, Monday 17 September 2018, 08:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I'm aware of another arrangement for orchestra of the Quintet's Adagio, but not one of the whole work. Here's a new recording of just that, made by Gerd Schaller. Oddly, his orchestration of the string Intermezzo, is placed between the Quintet's third and fourth movements, making it a five movement quasi-symphony.

Alan Howe

I've just received my copy of Schaller's orchestration. It really is a most odd work - absolutely typical Bruckner, but somehow often oblique and elusive. Schaller's orchestration sounds authentic enough, although he really needed a more luxurious-sounding orchestra. They actually play well enough, but one wonders why he didn't make the recording with his superlative Philharmonie Festiva.

Mark Thomas

I do agree - it's all very thin and weedy, and to add to the deficiencies of the orchestra, the orchestration itself remains quite string-dominated. What one gets is a sort of "Bruckner-lite", without the majesty that one expects from the climaxes in one of the symphonies or the thrill of the brass chorales. Quite an odd listen.

Alan Howe

It could mean that the original was best left alone...

Mark Thomas

Certainly left alone by Herr Schaller, anyway. That said, I think that a beefier orchestration and a stronger ensemble might well have made for a more satisfying experience. As it is, it sounds like Bruckner on an off-day.

Alan Howe

Agreed. Or a Bruckner suite/serenade rather than a symphony, perhaps? Rather a perverse notion anyway.

eschiss1

Well, there is a Bruckner serenade (WAB 84, for tenor and male chorus) :)

Alan Howe