Alma Deutscher Violin Concerto in G minor & Piano Concerto

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 18 October 2018, 06:42

Previous topic - Next topic

matesic

Maybe given all the praise she's currently garnering it's her juvenilia she'll be remembered for!

Alan Howe

Maybe. Let's hope not. Let's hope that one day she will be lifting our spirits through her mature compositions.

Christopher

Quote from: matesic on Friday 19 October 2018, 08:13
Remarkable for me (and I couldn't help mulling this over in the small hours!) is the way her music does seem to give you a glimpse into her mind. However fluently expressed in a strange composite language derived from many previous composers, it speaks to me of naivete, gaucheness, childishness. Like reciting Shakespeare with all the hackneyed dramatic mannerisms but not much notion of what the words actually mean. She should write a tone-poem about something that is important to her, like dolly falling out of the pram and being carried away by the dog.

Well I think we found her troll.  What  unnecessary and unpleasant final few words.  Your critique had some merit up until then. A sneer of age at youth with a dash of sexism thrown in.  Possibly not written in that spirit, but as our moderators are always rightly reminding us, think about how your posts are read.  You have no idea what is important to her.

(If Alma, or her parents or agent should ever read this, please don't think that everyone on this forum is a "sneerer".  I am rooting for her and I am sure most others on here are too.)

matesic

Sorry! I see she has written an opera on Cinderella
By the way did you see her wikipedia page?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alma_Deutscher

matesic

I do try to be kind, usually, but when I read the youtube comments on her violin concerto and realise they are all orchestrated the milk tends to run sour

Alan Howe

Quotelike dolly falling out of the pram and being carried away by the dog.

I took that as being akin to the sorts of things that happen in children's fairy tales - hardly something unfamiliar to Alma when she has set Cinderella!

matesic

Yes, but Christopher is right that I should consider more how others might read it. Poor Alma has enough of a problem at the hands of her publicity machine to need snarkiness from me, even largely unintended. On ebay I was once fooled into buying a violin by "feedback" of the sort on her youtube clip. It's clear who's responsible, but I wonder how he does it?

Alan Howe

Quotethe youtube comments on her violin concerto and realise they are all orchestrated

Evidence, please? (Who reads this stuff anyway? Not I!)

QuotePoor Alma has enough of a problem at the hands of her publicity machine

She hasn't got one. At least, not a machine.

We're getting into the realms of fantasy here.

I suggest we now confine our remarks to whatever music emerges in the coming months and years and base our judgments solely on that.

QuoteOn ebay I was once fooled into buying a violin by "feedback" of the sort on her youtube clip. It's clear who's responsible, but I wonder how he does it?

I've no idea what this has to do with anything.

matesic

Alan - try reading it and then say I'm delusional! Nobody in the history of the internet ever had praise this unanimous or hyperbolic, with more than one assertion that Alma's music is "better than Mozart".

Mark Thomas

OK. Enough. Let's just leave it all there, please. Everyone.

Alan Howe

Glad to. I don't (usually!) read YouTube comments - on principle. As I said, back to the music, please.

vesteel

The american premiere of Cinderella was online for a couple of months, and I watched the first act. It was good and fun. Of course I hear the obvious influences of Schumann, Mozart and other composers. I wished I downloaded the video before it went down, I want to see the entire thing...

I wonder what music she will make 10 years from now? (I hope she discovers Mahler!)

Revilod

I hope that, in Alma's opera, Cinderella doesn't "wait around for a rich guy to rescue her. Don't! Rescue yourself. Obviously!" If that's the case the opera will definitely be going on Keira Knightley's list of no-sees for her small daughter. And it was written by a girl too! Well, before I get told off, that's enough politics. Back to the music!

jerfilm

I'm curious to know what you folks expect of this young, talented composer/musician as she "matures:???

I expect we'd like it to be beautiful, melodic, romantic but it must never sound like it's derived from anyone elses earlier work?   Damned tall order, even for a young prodigy who can orchestrate a violin concerto or an opera.

I'm with you, Alma - take your music where your heart tells you to.  For most of us, that's what music is about......