Hyperion RPC vol. 78: Clara Schumann, Hiller, Herz, Kalkbrenner

Started by Sharkkb8, Saturday 08 December 2018, 23:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

It appears Clara Schumann's PC, along with single-movement works by Hiller, Herz, and Kalkbrenner, will be Hyperion's vol. 78 of the Romantic Piano Concerto series.  I happened on this through Apple's iTunes, but don't initially see it anywhere else, including Hyperion's own site (I spent 5 minutes searching, perhaps I just didn't drill down deep enough).  iTunes shows a release date of 29 March.

Howard Shelley & Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra

C. Schumann:  Piano Concerto in A minor, op. 7
Hiller: Konzertstück, Op. 113
Herz: Rondo de concert, Op. 27
Kalkbrenner: Le rêve, Op. 113

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/schumann-c-piano-concerto-works-by-hiller-herz-kalkbrenner/1445828513

Gregory

Mark Thomas

An interesting departure in format for the RPC series, but a welcome release. I shall be especially pleased to have a modern recording of Hiller's Konzertstück.

Ilja

Personally, I am very grateful for any releases of Konzertstücke, since the chance of hearing examples of the entire genre in the concert hall are pretty negligible. The sound samples (iTunes) are really promising, too. Shame we have to wait until March, though...

Alan Howe

semloh

Yes, the Hiller is especially attractive for me too. A very welcome addition to the series.

JimL

The Hiller Konzertstück is a concerto in all but name. Perhaps he called it something different because of the march-tempo 1st movement, but it is a fully 3-movement work.

Gareth Vaughan

eschiss1

In point of fact Hiller's op.113 was published under _both_ names, concerto and concertpiece, when it was published in 1866 by Cranz. So no need to use "all but" :)

Gareth Vaughan

eschiss1

JimL

Interesting that he didn't include it among the 3 numbered concertos, although it's hard to say he numbered any of them himself.

eschiss1

well, he also wrote a piano concerto in D major in August-September 1827 (mentioned in the first of two early worklists he kept), a 3-movement concerto for piano and orchestra (concert-allegro, adagio und finale) in F minor begun as a one-movement work and completed with slow movement and finale in January 1831. No manuscript scores have been located by me of the F minor Op.5 (actually, Op.5 seems to be the concert-allegro, adagio & finale more or less...) , Op.69 etc. ...

JimL

The F minor concerto would appear to be the one numbered as his 1st, and is interestingly an early example of progressive tonality, although not particularly daring (opening movement in F minor, finale in A-flat.)

JimL