Recommended composers from the romantic and impressionist period

Started by Gazrob, Sunday 13 January 2019, 20:20

Previous topic - Next topic

soundwave106

Many lesser known composers, in addition, have relatively few discs out there if they are relatively "unsung".

Lili fares better than some composers (she's not a *complete* unknown), but the number of CDs with Lili Boulanger is relatively small. With the selection slim, this isn't a situation like where you are picking your favorite Holst Planets out of the 83 commercial recordings made.

Sure, a few pieces are available in multiple recordings -- for example, for "Psalm 130", you can chose between the Nadia Boulanger conducted version (paired with Faure's requiem) or the Yan Pascal Tortelier conducted Chandos disc, or a disc by Mark Stringer of choral works. But if you are looking for, say, Faust and Helene, I think presently that's *only* available on the Chandos CD as far as I know.

It is my feeling that with the lesser known composers, you often have to more judge by the piece, because the CD it is on might be the only recording available after all. This means searching for the discs, listening to the audio samples, and see if this is what you are looking for.

The only caveat here is composer consistency, of course. For some composers it's definitely "buyer beware". Personally I think Lili Boulanger is a composer where, if you like her style, I think it's difficult to go wrong -- the quality of her works in her brief life is very high and her style is very consistent.

Alan Howe

I often search for audio samples - jpc.de is a very good place to find them:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/home
In German, I know, but searching isn't much of a problem.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe