Cramer PCs 4 & 5 - Hyperion Classical Piano Concerto Series

Started by Sharkkb8, Sunday 21 April 2019, 08:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

A new release of Cramer Piano Concertos, with Howard Shelley tickling the ivories.  Release date is June 28, link and sound extracts below.  I don't see a "vol. __" designation as with the previous 5 Hyperion CPC issues, which makes me a little nervous about future prospects, but let's keep our fingers crossed.  These would be from the very early 1800's, so right at the beginning of UC's time frame.  Whether we will hear any proto-romanticism here, I will leave to members with far more musical expertise than mine.....

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68270

Gareth Vaughan

I noticed this only yesterday. It is rather good news. Howard Shelley recorded Nos. 2, 7 & 8 for Chandos in 2002. The Hyperion disk will have nos. 4 & 5, so perhaps Shelley will give us 1, 3 & 6 in due course. All are extant. (I should perhaps add that No. 5 was released on Vox/Turnabout a long time ago with Akiko Sagaro (piano) & the Radio Luxembourg Orchestra under Pierre Cao, but the sound was not great.)

kolaboy

Bought the Chandos release back in '02. This is a certainly welcome addition to my wall.

Gareth Vaughan

I see from the latest Hyperion news that Cramer's PCs 1, 3 & 6 will indeed be released with Howard Shelley as soloist later this year, as part of their Classical Piano Concerto series. We shall then have recordings of all 8 of Cramer's piano concerti.

FBerwald

I'm sorry but where did you come across that? I'm not able to find anything about this on the Hyperion website.

Gareth Vaughan

No. It isn't on the website yet, but it appeared in the Hyperion News monthly email I receive. In that message there is a panel titled COMING SOON which lists it: Howard Shelley and the London Mozart Players (probably an October/November release).

4candles

September release for this according to the Hyperion website. Sound samples here.

Gareth Vaughan

Excellent news - thank you. And the soundbites are most attractive.