Raff - Symphony No. 3 - 2019-2020 Performances

Started by Justin, Wednesday 31 July 2019, 03:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

This question is mainly directed towards Mark since he is the Raff aficionado and guru (all flattery intended), but I'll ask everyone in case they have any information:

Will there be a performance of the third symphony this year or next? It was composed in 1869, and was first premiered in 1870. Therefore we have a 150th anniversary this year for its composition, and another one next year for its debut performance.

I would be surprised if there isn't anything planned to commemorate what is arguably his best work.

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the flattery, it's always welcome! Actually, I don't know of any planned performances of Im Walde, but like you I'd be very pleased to learn of one. I've only been to one myself, just over 10 years ago in a small Swedish town on the border with Norway. It made a terrific impression in the concert hall, I must say.

Justin

Thanks, Mark. It's unlikely anything will be performed here in the States. Maybe I can catch one on my next trip to Europe.

Alan Howe

Would that there were one to catch anywhere in Europe...

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

May 14 2020, Tapiola Sinfonietta, I believe. Conducted by Mario Venzago.

Mark Thomas

Oh, well done Eric. I must admit that my "Raff time" is at present so monopolised that I can't keep right up to date with concert performances.

Alan Howe

Evidently the Tapiola Sinfonietta concerts take place in Espoo, in southern Finland. Could make rather an interesting trip...

Justin

Great to hear! May be going to Finland next year, then!

Alan Howe

Would it be a problem that this is a 43-piece orchestra, though? Can they really do justice to Raff's great work or would we be disappointed?

Mark Thomas

The performance I heard in Karlstad was with a similar-sized orchestra and it made a terrific impression (read my review). I'm sure that someone like Järvi conducting a world-class, full-size band would make even more of the work, but if the Tapiola Sinfonietta are of the standard of the Swedish orchestra, and if Mario Venzago understands Raff as well as Henrik Schaefer did, then the music itself is robust enough to work its magic, as it did in Sweden.

eschiss1

Well, Venzago has recorded Raff before (has anyone here heard those recordings of his late symphonies?)

Alan Howe

Has Venzago recorded more than No.11?

That recording was made in 1981 - and my guess is that he's travelled a long way along the HIP route since then, so, as well as the size of his orchestra, the type of interpretation on offer might well be an issue. Or perhaps not...

Alan Howe

The Tapiola Sinfonietta's Bruckner recordings for cpo have been rightly lambasted, I think. But Raff's a different matter, of course.

eschiss1

Ah, I see there's one other Raff performance/recording by Venzago available (online/YouTube, not on CD)- the recent Raff cello concerto no.1 with Croisé...