Bru Zane future plans

Started by Ebubu, Monday 21 October 2019, 14:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebubu

Quotea particular favourite of mine is Gounod's Le Tribut de Zamora and Saint-Saen's Ascanio on B records.
Except Bru Zane had nothing to do with the recording of Ascanio.
But you have good reasons to rejoice as BZ plans many more exciting projects (among which) : 3 Reynaldo Hahn (L'Ile du Rêve, La Carmélite, O mon bel inconnu), Lancelot (Joncieres), Psyché (Thomas), Charles VI (Halévy), Phèdre (Lemoyne), Le Docteur Miracle (Lecocq, much less know than its Bizet counterpart), Yes (Yvain).
Just a reminder that they recently issued a set of 10 Cds with totally unknown material recorded in the last 10 years, as well as an exciting original version of Gounod's Faust....
There are also questions whether recent productions of rare works will see commercial issues : Madame Favart (Offenbach), Maitre Péronilla (Offenbach), Le Timbre d'Argent (Saint-Saëns). Another French rarity is due out soon : Massenet's Don César de Bazan (without PBZ).

Kevin

Whew. That sounds lovely Ebubu. Hope they don't take years and years to be released though :)

(I'm well aware that Ascanio's not on Bru zane but like I said it's on B Records)

Alan Howe

Well, such major planned releases will be expensive and probably/possibly linked to public performances, so I think we'll have to be patient.

Gareth Vaughan

What I would very much like to see is a continuation of Godard's symphonic works. CPO issued a marvellous disk a few years ago of Godard symphonies which was supported (and initiated) by Bru Zane.

Ebubu

QuoteWell, such major planned releases will be expensive and probably/possibly linked to public performances, so I think we'll have to be patient.

Well, most of these are planned for this coming season (with, yes, staged or public performances), except for the Joncieres et the Halevy.

I forgot to mention a complete song album of Hahn (4 CDs) which is just out.
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8675087--reynaldo-hahn-complete-songs

I've not heard plans on the series of Prix de Rome, yet, but I hope they'll go on, as there's still so much fascinating material to cover !!!

Ebubu

The cast of Don César de Bazan (Massenet) is :

LES FRIVOLITES PARISIENNES  Don César de Bazan... dans la boîte - (in the box, which means "recorded") [So, it should be issued in a few months from now, at the latest].

Du  13  au  17  février (2019),  enregistrement  pour  le  label  Naxos  de  Don  César  de  Bazan,  l'inédit  de  Massenet,  pépite de notre saison 2015-2016.

Don César, un Grand d'Espagne ruiné, se bat en duel pour sauver Lazarille des griffes d'un capitaine cruel. Un   édit   royal   ayant   interdit   les   duels   durant   la   Semaine  Sainte,  Don  César  est  arrêté  et  condamné  à  mort  par  pendaison.  Dans  la  cellule  de  sa  prison,  Don  José  trame  une  intrigue  amoureuse  savoureuse  et rocambolesque...

DON CÉSAR DE BAZAN « LE FANTASQUE », LAURENT NAOURI
MARITANA « L'AMBIGÜE »,ELSA DREISIG
LAZARILLE « LE FIDÈLE », MARION LEBÈGUE
DON JOSÉ DE SANTAREM «  LE MANIPULATEUR », CHRISTIAN HELMER
LE ROI,THOMAS BETTINGER
LE CAPITAINE, CHRISTIAN MOUNGOUNGOU
LE CHŒUR AEDES ET L'ORCHESTRE DES FRIVOLITÉS PARISIENNES SERONT DIRIGÉS PAR MATHIEU ROMANO

dhibbard

Yes  I just received the Godard CPO CD today in the postmail... wonderful performance with the Munchner Radio Orchestra.. the piece Trois Morceaux Op 51 is especially delightful... full of melodies that stay in your memory... almost wish they had words.  Impressive to read about the Bru Zane Center of French Romantic Music mission is to re discover the lost French musical heritage of the years 1780-1920.

Ebubu

Of course, quite a bit has happened with the PBZ since the last post in this thread, most of which has been dealt with in specific threads, but I thought it would be useful to post here the updates on PBZ projects for the coming season (concerts and recordings).

After recent issues of recordings of O Mon Bel Inconnu, L'Ile du Rêve, La Fille de Madame Angot, Phryné, La vie Parisienne (on YT), Les Abencerages (soon on YT I think, and later as a 2 CD set), a 2-CD set of complete Franck songs and duets, the following projects are on track, or to be issued soon :
-- MEYERBEER's Robert le Diable (recorded in Bordeaux, with Minkowski, featuring Erin Morley)
-- FRANCK's Hulda (Madaras)
-- SPONTINI's La Vestale (Rousset)
-- JONCIERES's Lancelot (Niquet, with the Saint-Etienne Opera forces)
-- OFFENBACH's Voyage dans la Lune (Dumoussaud)
-- BERTIN's Fausto (Rousset, concert on June 20th 2023 at the TCE in Paris)
-- Concert of Women Composers at the TCE on June 23, 2023. (recording to be issued most probably).
-- MASSENET's Hérodiade (Rustioni and the Lyon Opera forces).  Concert at the TCE, and probably recording to be issued).
-- MASSENET's Grisélidis (Zeitouni). Concert at TCE and probably recording to be issued.
-- MASSENET's Ariane (Schirmer ?). Concert and recording in Munich.
-- SAINT-SAËNS's Déjanire.

Previously cancelled projects, HAHN's La Carmélite and THOMAS's Psyché seem to be "on hold" for now, unfortunately.

PS : Forgot a production of HOLMES's La Montagne Noire in Dortmund, during next season.

Alan Howe

Franck's Hulda (its second recording) and Joncière's Lancelot are of particular interest to me. Thanks for the update.

Mark Thomas

And for me Joncière's Lancelot and Bertin's Fausto.

edurban

No Bertin for me, thanks.  Esmeralda gave me a rash.  Very curious about Holmes' opera, though.

eschiss1

I wouldn't mind hearing Bertin's piano trio, e.g. (or, I gather, unpublished string quartets.)

BerlinExpat

SAINT-SAËNS's Déjanire was performed in Monte Carlo on 16th October this year. A studio recording was made during the previous week!

HOLMES's La Montagne Noire in Dortmund seems to have disappeared. Perhaps it was so dark they couldn't find it.

A real unsung next year in Wexford: Camille Erlanger's L'aube rouge!

Gareth Vaughan

Great shame about the HOLMES. I would be very interested to hear that.

Ebubu

Quote from: BerlinExpat on Thursday 17 November 2022, 15:07Perhaps it was so dark they couldn't find it.

;D  8)

Quote from: BerlinExpat on Thursday 17 November 2022, 15:07A real unsung next year in Wexford: Camille Erlanger's L'aube rouge!

Yep !!! And we are grateful that the 3 productions of this Festival have been broadcast (La Tempesta and Lalla Roukh, already).

Sadly, Lancelot hasn't been recorded, during the performances in Saint-Etienne....   :'(  Only 2 excerpts are available on YT.

In the previous list, no mention of Cherubini's Les Abencerages, which was just issued on a 3-CD album... But all the others are apparently still on, with the addition of a WERTHER, in the barytone version, sung by Tassis Christoyannis.