Boards like this in other languages

Started by Christopher, Wednesday 10 January 2018, 14:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

I've come across boards in this format dedicated to classical music in other languages (I've found in Russian and French).  Might it be worth listing them somewhere and users here who speak those languages could, if they wished, notify us of anything interesting that comes up - recordings, concerts, etc.  (At this moment I am trying to identify if there is one in Czech as I am trying to find a piece of Napravnik which is listed as having been recorded by Czech Radio.)

Alan Howe

Christopher

Happy to put the ones I have found up here, of course.  Just need to remember where I found some of them...!

This is a Russian one, in exactly the same format as UC:

http://www.classicalforum.ru/

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Christopher

If you wish to create a profile on the Russian one, it asks you two questions to check you are a human.  And answers of course have to be in Russian, in cyrillic.

These are:

1.  Continue the phrase "Love of all ages ..." :

and then

2. Maiden name of the object of love (answer enter with a lowercase letter):

The answer to "love of all ages" is "покорны" (as everyone here is undoubtedly aware, it's the opening line of one of the stanzas in Pushkin's Eugene Onegin, near the end where Onegin sees Tatyana again after many years and decides that actually she is rather fine - chapter 8, stanza XXIX: "To love all ages must submit...").

The second question is "what is the maiden name of the object of this declaration of love". There are two female protagonists in Onegin - Tatyana and her sister Olga. Their family name is Larina. The site asks you to enter this in lower case. In Cyrillic that is ларина .

Digression:  In Tchaikovsky's opera this is Gremin's Aria ("Любви все возрасты покорны" - "Lyubvi vse vosrasty pokorny"), but in Pushkin's original the words are those of the narrator. Gremin is the pompous old general whom Onegin finds Tatyana has married when he returns at the end.

8: XXXIX

♫ To love all ages must submit;
Yet virgin hearts, despite its pain,
Its violent storms, are blessed by it,
As the fields by springtime rain:
Passion's tempests will renew,
Bring fresh beauty to the view –
A vital force flows from the root,
Bringing flowers, and ripening fruit.
But in the late and barren season,
At the turning of the years,
Passion's death-march brings tears:
Autumn's gales reveal time's treason,
Turning meadowland to marsh,
Stripping forests, fierce and harsh. ♫

I like how the Russians do these things!  Much more classy than Captcha "click on all squares containing a roadsign" argh!