Introduce yourself here.....

Started by jerfilm, Thursday 28 October 2010, 23:39

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Tuesday 11 October 2011, 04:38
Oh....and in no way shape or form could I possibly be confused with Gracie Fields....and I can't sing anyway ;D ;D

Crikey, Dundonnell - I have just been assailed by an image of a large man, wearing a kilt, doing a bad impersonation of Gracie Fields, with a strong Scottish accent -  "Aye laddie, a'took ma'wee harp tae a party, and they wouldna let me play!!"  :o :o
Dear, oh dear! I obviously need to listen to more music by way of therapy! ;D ;D

Dundonnell

May I politely but very firmly disabuse you of the thought processes behind that image :)

I am not large.    I have never worn a kilt.   And, finally, my accent-as, I regret to say, you will discover if you listen to my spoken introduction to a (very ;D) few of the British compositions I shall be uploading soon-is most decidedly not archetypically Scottish but rather resembles that sometimes characterised as 'Edinburgh middle-class' or, pejoratively, "Morningside" ;D ;D

semloh

That all comes as a great relief!  ;D ;D ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

This member can vouch for the accuracy of Dundonnell's self-description.  8)

giles.enders

What has all this to do with 'suggestions', it reads like a bad script.

albion

Quote from: giles.enders on Saturday 15 October 2011, 10:42it reads like a bad script.

Admittedly, it doesn't quite scale the heights of George and Mildred in its heyday, but then so much in life falls short of the ideal.

::)

JimL

I can't imagine a more thorough introduction than that, Colin!

vandermolen

Defector (sort of) from GMG Forum - born 1955 - obsessed with neglected composers. At my wedding my brother made a speech in which he said that my new wife was 'doomed to years of listening to music by deservedly neglected composers' - a commentator on another forum commented that my brother could simply have stopped after the word 'doomed' (she may well agree). Like Dunnodell, whom I have had the great pleasure (genuinely) of meeting twice (once albeit rather briefly at the Gothic Symphony prom). Another great pleasure was meeting 'Herrenberg' twice too. I am a history teacher - although sadly not retired - hence I have limited time to connect with the music groups. I have written some notes for CD booklets (Miaskovsky/Vaughan Williams/Shostakovich/Prokofiev/Walton) but am otherwise unmusical I love cats and walking in the countryside. Support Chelsea (not 'fair weather supporter') Trained as a counsellor (Gestalt) a few years ago to take me out of my 'comfort zone' which it did.

Very nice to be here and much appreciate the connection.

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on Sunday 16 October 2011, 19:10
Defector (sort of) from GMG Forum - born 1955 - obsessed with neglected composers. At my wedding my brother made a speech in which he said that my new wife was 'doomed to years of listening to music by deservedly neglected composers' - a commentator on another forum commented that my brother could simply have stopped after the word 'doomed' (she may well agree). Like Dunnodell, whom I have had the great pleasure (genuinely) of meeting twice (once albeit rather briefly at the Gothic Symphony prom). Another great pleasure was meeting 'Herrenberg' twice too. I am a history teacher - although sadly not retired - hence I have limited time to connect with the music groups. I have written some notes for CD booklets (Miaskovsky/Vaughan Williams/Shostakovich/Prokofiev/Walton) but am otherwise unmusical I love cats and walking in the countryside. Support Chelsea (not 'fair weather supporter') Trained as a counsellor (Gestalt) a few years ago to take me out of my 'comfort zone' which it did.

Delighted to see you here more often, Jeffrey :)   (even if I am translated into 'Dunnodell' ;D.....incidentally, the username 'Dundonnell' relates to a tiny village in Wester Ross, North West Scotland, from which I embarked on an epic three day cross-country walk through the Dundonnell Forest 15 years ago or so :))

I do have to say that the members here are a lot more "switched-on" to our type of music than in another place ;D

semloh

vandermolen - thanks for that background. I know from my occasional visits that you cut an impressive figure at GMG, passionate about the music, but always reasonable and extremely knowledgeable, so it's good to have you here with the unsungs! :)

Am I right in recalling that you especially like the big romantic and neo-romantic symphonists - like Miaskovsky?

Despite supporting Chelsea, I suspect that you live in Surrey or Sussex, maybe, rather than in London - or is that one of my illusions waiting to be shattered? ;D
In any case, if you are a secondary school teacher, in my eyes you are a hero!  8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 17 October 2011, 01:04
Quote from: vandermolen on Sunday 16 October 2011, 19:10

Delighted to see you here more often, Jeffrey :)   (even if I am translated into 'Dunnodell' ;D.....incidentally, the username 'Dundonnell' relates to a tiny village in Wester Ross, North West Scotland, from which I embarked on an epic three day cross-country walk through the Dundonnell Forest 15 years ago or so :))

I do have to say that the members here are a lot more "switched-on" to our type of music than in another place ;D

Delighted to see you too Colin  :). Sorry about Dundonnell mis-spelling - I am usually communicating in a rush before being ushured off the lap top for someone to get on with 'more important' things (what could be more important than this?  8))

All best to you

Jeffrey

vandermolen

Quote from: semloh on Monday 17 October 2011, 07:18
vandermolen - thanks for that background. I know from my occasional visits that you cut an impressive figure at GMG, passionate about the music, but always reasonable and extremely knowledgeable, so it's good to have you here with the unsungs! :)

Am I right in recalling that you especially like the big romantic and neo-romantic symphonists - like Miaskovsky?

Despite supporting Chelsea, I suspect that you live in Surrey or Sussex, maybe, rather than in London - or is that one of my illusions waiting to be shattered? ;D
In any case, if you are a secondary school teacher, in my eyes you are a hero!  8)

Hello Semloh,
Many thanks for the nice comments and it is good to be here.  Yes, Miaskovsky is one of my very favourite composers (was listening to the very underrated 26th Symphony yesterday - tonight it is David Matthews Symphony No 6 (another fine work)).  I do indeed live in East Sussex but was brought up in Earl's Court (hence the Chelsea connection!) I teach in an independent school - so hardly 'heroic' - but the pressures are different.
thanks again
Jeffrey

britishcomposer

Oh, nice to find someone who likes David Matthews! :D
To my mind he's is one of the great living (British) symphonists and it's fascinating to witness the ongoing creation of a fascinating symphonic cycle.
I listened to the premier performances of Nos. 6 and 7 and recorded the others from BBC broadcasts as well - unfortunately no recording of No. 5 seems to exists.

Dundonnell

Quote from: britishcomposer on Monday 17 October 2011, 21:59
To my mind he's is one of the great living (British) symphonists and it's fascinating to witness the ongoing creation of a fascinating symphonic cycle.
I listened to the premier performances of Nos. 6 and 7 and recorded the others from BBC broadcasts as well - unfortunately no recording of No. 5 seems to exists.

Oh yes it does :)  Dutton Epoch CDLX 7222: Symphonies Nos. 1, 3 and 5: BBC National Orchestra of Wales/Martyn Brabbins.

vandermolen

Quote from: britishcomposer on Monday 17 October 2011, 21:59

Oddly enough I had a nice reply to my fan email to David Matthews yesterday. He said that Symphony No 7 is being recorded soon but that they are looking for a filler for the CD. Symphony No 6 is terrific.