Väinö Raitio: Princess Cecilia (opera) Broadcast

Started by jani, Wednesday 16 August 2017, 08:18

Previous topic - Next topic

jani

Tomorrow there is broadcast of opera "Prinsessa Cecilia" (Princess Cecilia) by Finnish Väinö Raitio (1891-1945). Performance of forgotten opera, first time since 1937. It is considered one of the most important works of his. Opera was composed from 1930 to 1933. At the time, it was performed only 6 times. And this is the first performance of the opera without cuts. This is concert performance.

It tells story of Gustav Vasa's daughter, Cecilia (1540-1627).

Princess Cecilia - Johanna Rusanen (soprano)
Count Johan (later Pater Johannes) - Mika Pohjola (tenor)
Prince Erik - Tuomas Katajala (tenor)
Count Filip (son of Cecilia) - Kristian Lindroos (baritone)
Marquis Kristofer - Waltteri Torikka (baritone)
King Gustav Vasa - Jaakko Kortekangas (baritone)
Court jester Ambrosius - Petri Bäckström (tenor)

Musiikkitalon Kuoro, Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Hannu Lintu, conductor

Broadcast at YLE. You can listen this at http://areena.yle.fi/1-4169444

Alan Howe

jani

Style is a mix of Debussy, Ravel and some R. Strauss thrown in. Vocal lines remind me of Janacek. While I was listening the rehearsals, I found myself thinking of Szymanowski's Krol Roger too.

Just before this opera, Raitio wrote ballet 'Vesipatsas' (1929), recorded for Ondine in 1992 (Jukka-Pekka Saraste and Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra). This ballet is not too far from opera but still opera is a bit more stylistically conservative.

jimsemadeni

Alan Howe

Well, please be reminded about our remit - and in particular this section, which was not followed in this case:

Please do not post about composers or compositions which clearly fall outside our definition of "romantic". Your post will not be approved. If you are in any doubt, and in any event if the music was written after 1918, please email or PM a moderator before posting.

This is a matter of simple courtesy to us as moderators who spend much of our precious time keeping this whole show on the road.

Gareth Vaughan

Indeed, it's not unreasonable of Alan to ask the question. I must say what music by Raitio I have heard reminds me of Scriabin quite a lot, though there are certainly Debussyan moments.

Alan Howe

That was my impression of what I've heard too, Gareth. But this opera is later - hence the need for clarification.

dhibbard

Alan Howe

Er, yes indeed. But the only Raitio I've ever heard dates from the 1920s - hence the need for clarification.