Raff symphonies from Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 24 November 2010, 16:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Any news on the last Sterling disk of orchestral works by Raff?

Aramiarz

Dear Gareth
What Cd? What works were announced?

Mark Thomas

Aramiarz: see this thread here.

Gareth: [sigh]. I am told that it will definitely be released by the end of this year, but frankly I doubt it. There were some technical issues with the recording, which I understand have been resolved. Then there was the serious problem of both Sterling's US and European distributors folding, but replacements have been found and in recent months Sterling has issued several new CDs which were recorded since these Raff recordings were made. I have been told several times this year that release is imminent, only to see another recording come to market instead. I honestly can't get to the bottom of why this double CD remains unissued, and you'll appreciate that it is frustrating in the extreme.

Gareth Vaughan

I sympathise, Mark. Let us hope it will appear before too long. It is bound to be a winner on this forum and, I would think, among a wider public now more aware of the joys and merits of Raff's music.

Aramiarz

Ok, dear Gareth! I'll be back soon with info about this Sterling Cd

adriano

In some earlier Raff posts it was the talk of conductor Francesco d'Avalos. To those who not know already, the maestro died in his Naples residence on 26th May of this year. We used to discuss a lot on interpretation of Romantic music and on music phenomenology. We never met personally, but had long telephone calls and e-mail exchanges. He just called me one day after he had listened to my Templeton Strong CDs, in order to praise them - I could not believe that it was he at the other end! Not daring to compare myself to him, we were similar maverick conductors. As no other conductor I have personally known, Francesco appreciated me very much and encouraged me every time I called him in crisis situations of doubts or resignation. Francesco's recording of Clementi, Martucci, Brahms and Mendelssohn are great. And, of course, he championed Raff!

Alan Howe

D'Avalos' Raff 3 and Martucci symphonies have been very important to me - wonderful music, wonderfully performed. Thanks for the reminder of him, Adriano.

Gareth Vaughan

May I echo Alan's sentiments. He was a splendid and adventurous conductor. Thank you, Adriano.

bulleid_pacific

Me too.  the D'Avalos Raff "Im Walde" was the start of the whole Unsung Voyage for me.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Here's the review, Alan. For once, on the whole, Hurwitz has the right idea:

Joachim Raff's symphonies have a reputation as being diffuse, bloated, and just not terribly interesting. On the basis of some of his programmatic works in the form, perhaps this is true, at least some of the time, but his Second is a lively, compact, formally shapely and melodically rich work that does not deserve its neglect. Maybe the first movement, which is based on a triadic theme not terribly susceptible to development, lacks drama, but it certainly moves well, as does the entire symphony for that matter. The finale, in particular, maintains its momentum from start to finish, unlike so many other romantic symphonies (sound clip). At only thirty-three minutes (in this performance), you can't say that the piece outstays its welcome. Järvi, typically, does not see profundity where none exists, but leads the orchestra in a joyful romp through the piece that proves consistently entertaining.

The four Shakespeare preludes also prove to be lots of fun. All are relatively short, but well-orchestrated and atmospheric. Perhaps Romeo and Juliet is the tamest–it's only nine minutes long and it's not Tchaikovsky, but Othello is punchy and tense (and even shorter); The Tempest opens with an effective storm and features music that challenges you to figure out who the characters are that Raff illustrates; and Macbeth, possibly the best of all, spends a lot of time focused on the witches (sound clip) and, seemingly, the final battle. It's great to have this music recorded, and terrifying to realize that the symphony is Raff's Op. 140 and the preludes his WoO 49-52. My but that man could churn it out, couldn't he? Fine playing and excellent sonics round out a release that deserves your attention.

Alan Howe

Yep, pretty good - thanks, Mark. Of course, I think Symphony No.2 is in reality a masterpiece, but then I'd rather listen to Raff than Brahms, so I'm obviously way out on a limb already...

FBerwald

Alan, I'd pick Raff over Brahms any day...

TerraEpon

eschiss1

Not I, but I already know I'm in a minority in this group in thinking Brahms' reputation has gotten in the way of (listening to) his music. (A problem Raff has had too, of course...)