Emilie Mayer, String Quintet in D-Major

Started by Double-A, Wednesday 03 November 2021, 13:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Double-A

Some time ago the autographs of Mayer's two string quintets were posted on IMSLP.  They are written for 2 violins, 2 violas and violoncello and are in D-Major and d-minor respectively--maybe as companion pieces?  They are dated "ca. 1853 - 57", contemporaneous with Mayer's string quartets.

I have now posted a transcript for practical use on IMSLP.  I also posted electronic renditions on Musescore.com, trying to make sure the leading voices are favored--within the range of what is possible to do with Musescore:  Movement 1, movement 2, movement 3 & 4.

The work is attractive, rather upbeat in mood (as one would expect in D-Major) and ambitious:  A first allegro of twelve minutes with nicely contrasting themes, then a robust scherzo (g-minor), allegro vivace with a slow trio (E-flat Major), followed by variations on chorale-like theme (B-flat Major), somewhat reminiscent of the ones in Haydn's "Emperor" quartet, with a coda that leads attaca into the final allegro in sonata form.

I am now working on the d-minor quintet but this is more complicated: There are two autographs with some significant differences between them:  One in Mayer's estate in the Staatsbibliothek Berlin, the other in the estate of Franz Liszt, beautifully bound and dedicated by Mayer to Liszt, maybe in an effort to elicit some response.

Reverie

Thanks for your effort in this. Emilie Mayer's chamber music is reborn!

matesic

Another fine effort Albrecht, many thanks. The parts look very good to play from; I was only temporarily confused by the fact that your IMSLP link leads to the D minor quintet...