Manuscript works we'd like to see (found and) reconstructed

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 02 January 2011, 23:22

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Bye bye, Juicy!

You can take this out with the above, Mark.

[Edit]: I've deleted the spam, Jim. Mark.

littlenic

Hi Thal,

Thanks for your swift reply,  I`m struggling putting a photo on here , so I`ll inbox you with it, I`ve taken a cheeky step and also emailed it to Giles .

Thanks Nicola

giles.enders

Thanks to 'littlenic'.  It is the same Bluebell who is such a mystery. She certainly died in Hastings in 1950.  From my research, she appeared to vanish from the concert platform and composing in 1922 and then I have found nothing until her death certificate.  I will ask JF to post this picture on 'The Land of Lost Content' website.

While I'm on the subject of Bluebell Klean, I have yet to discover a single piece of her music including the piano concerto which was played under Sir Dan Godfrey at Bournemouth.

Alan Howe

I'm intrigued by the mention of an orchestral Symphony in B minor from 1844 by Alkan in Ronald Smith's book on the composer. Now that would surely be quite something...

eschiss1

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 30 January 2011, 20:47
I'm intrigued by the mention of an orchestral Symphony in B minor from 1844 by Alkan in Ronald Smith's book on the composer. Now that would surely be quite something...
It's been described in some detail in a magazine article by someone who saw the manuscript, I believe (I remember a thread somewhere translating part of that article?...), and then fell completely from view- it really is believed lost. I hope it isn't too. (scherzo in 2nd place, for starters but aside from that- well, will look for that article, yes.)

FBerwald

Here are some frustratingly intriguing ones.
Dvorak - Clarinet Quintet.
Tchaikovsky - Concertstück for Flute and Strings (in Tchaikovsky's version) I believe the version we have is one reconstructed       
                      from an unfinished manuscript.
                    - Cello Concerto (Had he finished what is left of the 60-bar fragment we might have had a mighty addition to the
                       cello repertoire.)
Mozart - Cello Concerto, K.206a.
Beethoven - Oboe Concerto.

PS: On a different note, are any works by Saint-Saens in manuscript or lost??????????

eschiss1

Someone named Sabrina Ratner might be the expert on that one... some, like an early piano quartet (earlier than the B-flat opus 41 I mean), were unpublished until recently I recall. (It's a piano quartet in E-flat major from around 1855 or so.)

Ok, to judge from Wikipedia which I am guessing is based on Ratner's Grove entry, yes - early mostly not very major items, near as I can tell (though I am curious about the undated choral psalm setting).

albion

Quote from: FBerwald on Monday 31 January 2011, 06:49
are any works by Saint-Saens in manuscript or lost??????????

From A Cache of Saint-Saens Autographs (Sabina Teller Ratner in Notes, 1984): [At the Bibliotheque nationale in Paris], in the course of preparing an annotated thematic catalogue of the complete works of Saint-Saens, the author of this article discovered an extraordinary cache of his autograph manuscripts. It encompassed over one hundred items formerly thought missing, lost, or non-existent, and disclosed some works that were completely unknown.

Volume 1 (The Instrumental Works) of Ratner's catalogue was published in 2002 by OUP - still available but with a very hefty price-tag: http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Music/MusicHistoryWestern/NineteenthCentury/~~/dmlldz11c2EmY2k9OTc4MDE5ODE2MzIwNg==#

Volume 2 (The Dramatic Works) is due for publication later this year: http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Music/MusicHistoryWestern/NineteenthCentury/?view=usa&ci=9780198163213

eschiss1

I know it's been awhile, but in the hoping to have found category, Villa-Lobos sym. 5 (not Romantic except in a general sense - but still.); and those early juvenilia by Szymanowski that supposedly (I know, I know, actually, but a person can hope) got destroyed should turn up, just because...

parkermusic

I am with Albion with his Cowen list that includes the first two symphonies, the operas, choral works and some of the miscellaneous orchestral music...

SadRobotSings

Came here to mention the Dvorak clarinet Quintet as well! Additionally Coleridge-Taylor wrote a clarinet sonata in his student days, if it was anywhere near as good as the quintet and his other early chamber works it would be very much worth having.

jdperdrix

I read a long time ago that Beethoven composed his oboe concerto while studying under Haydn. And that the "famous" oboe concerto wrongly (this is for sure) attributed to Haydn could be Beethoven's work. Se non è vero...
Far from romantic music, Boccherini's symphony op. 37/2 (G516), the only manuscript of which was in Berlin, was presumed lost during WW2. Its manuscript is said to have been found in Moscow a couple of years ago, and the symphony has been recorded by Pratum Integrum Orchestra for Mitis Caro records. My only information comes from the record leaflet. I could find no discussion of the subject on the web. Does anybody have more about it?

eschiss1

Actually, Beethoven's oboe concerto slow movement (Hess 12) has been found and reconstructed, and recorded, first(?) on Orion in ca.1982 or 1983 (as Andante), then a new edition was prepared in 1999 (as Largo), which was recorded first on Raptus Records in 2002, on Channel Classics in 2004 (coupling to a recording of Lebrun's concertos) - those are the recordings I see on Worldcat...

jdperdrix

Thank you. I've found the Lebrun and Beethoven concertos recording... Mine was a nice story... Too bad!

kolaboy

Macdowell's symphony (or what there was of it).
Chopin's Veni Creator (Chorus & organ).