News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Learmont Drysdale

Started by albion, Tuesday 18 January 2011, 22:35

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Efforts to push the music of Scottish romantic composer Learmont Drysdale (1866-1909) might just be bearing fruit. He is ideal for rediscovery - not a single piece by him is currently available and the University of Glasgow (http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/manuscripts/search/resultsn.cfm?NID=2058&RID=&Y1=&Y2=) holds his autograph scores and the orchestral parts of many of his major works, particularly:

Overture, Through the Sound of Raasay (1889)
Prelude, Thomas the Rhymer (1890)
Concert Overture, Tam O' Shanter (1890)
Concert Overture, Herondean (1894)
Orchestral Poem, A Border Romance (1904)

Tam O'Shanter was awarded (posthumous) publication under the Carnegie Trust in 1921.

Ralph Couzens has responded as follows: Hi, No firm news on this front yet accept to say that the program for a series of Scottish discs is being considered right now by Sir Andrew Davis for recording over the next few years. Drysdale is definately one of them. That sounds quite positive to me!  ;D

Pengelli

'The Scottish Grieg'! I keep pestering the cd companies about him,(not emi obviously,since it would be a bit of a waste of time!). 'Tam O' Shanter' would be a change from the Malcolm Arnold,not that we hear too much of that. I believe it was quite 'popular' for a while,although I may be wrong. He certainly sounds like an interesting character,who deserves some sort of re-evaluation,and it just WOULD be fun to hear what his music's like!
Even a very minor figure like William Wallace was worth disinterring,(by Hyperion). His 'Creation Symphony' and symphonic poems were quite off beat for their time and,at least  one of them,'Villon',is rather good.

Syrelius

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 18 January 2011, 22:35
Ralph Couzens has responded as follows: Hi, No firm news on this front yet accept to say that the program for a series of Scottish discs is being considered right now by Sir Andrew Davis for recording over the next few years. Drysdale is definately one of them. That sounds quite positive to me!  ;D

That is good news indeed, Albion! I've been hoping for a long time to hear some of Drysdale's music!  :)