Large collections of printed, romantic piano music?

Started by A Nyholm, Friday 18 February 2011, 16:26

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nyholm

Dear All,

I marvel at the contents of the Hofmeister XIX web catalogue (http://www.hofmeister.rhul.ac.uk/), and since I would like to try to find copies of some piano works listed there I wonder if you could inform me about music libraries with especially large collections of printed, romantic piano music.

I realize that it can be (very) hard to locate much of the piano music from Hofmeister XIX catalogue, but I would like to give it a try.

Kind Regards,
Anders

thalbergmad

In the UK, the largest would be the British Library who's holdings are immense. Also with considerable holdings are Royal Academy of Music, Royal College of Music, University of Oxford, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow, Cambridge and the Senate House library, which is part of the University of London. Those would probably be the ones I have personally used most.

All can be searched via Copac:

http://copac.ac.uk/search

All you need is a bit of form filling in, a fair amount of patience, a credit card with a large limit & a postman with a strong back.

Thal

eschiss1

Tangential to which I'm glad the Hofmeister search/transcription site is back up (the scans are at ONB Austrian national library but without the transcriptions and search engine - for years 1829-1900 or so only; the scans at ONB cover 1829-1947 - it can take forever to find when a work, or an edition of a form of a work, was published, for example, or other dorky (I say proudly, not apologetically) uses of that wonderful resource. )
Eric

A Nyholm

Thanks for your suggestions!
By the way, the works that I'm trying to locate are:

Parpart (A. de) Souvenir de la Pologne. Intr. et Rondo alla Polacca p. Pfte à 4 Mains. Oe. 5, in A . Posen, Mittler 22 Gr.
September, October 1832.

P(arpart, A. de) Ouverture im jüdischen Geschmack f. Pfte. Op. 7, in D . Posen, Mittler 8 Gr.
September, October 1832.

Parpart (A. v.) Antoinetten-Walzer f. Pfte. Berlin, Lischke 10 Gr.
März, April 1835.

...if anyone happens to know where they could be found. Germany or Poland would be my best guess. Where can large public piano music collections be found in Poland?

/Anders

eschiss1

viaf.org suggests that Parpart's full name is

Adolf Ludwig Agathon ˜von Parpart and his dates, 1806-1867; this may be their source.   That may not help at all though...

A Nyholm

It was nice of you to look him up, eschiss1.
I've collected material about Adolf Ludwig Agathon von Parpart for some time and I wrote about him in the old forum, ca 2008. Nobody knew about him then, and if he's unknown to the members of the Unsung Composers forum, I guess he's truly unknown  ;)

eschiss1

... (btw, the site www.parpart.de run by his descendents gives differing dates, dating his birth four years earlier for example if I am reading aright -see here. but indeed though the titles of the works you mention are intriguing, he has not crossed my attention...